Mushrooms growing under tomato plant?

Reaction score
Hi, I started a garden in a planter box not to long ago and today I noticed these grayish white mushrooms growing under my tomato plant. Will the mushrooms affect the tomato plant in any way? Any answer would be appreciated. Thank you!
Photo on 7-15-15 at 9.50 AM.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I started a garden in a planter box not to long ago and today I noticed these grayish white mushrooms growing under my tomato plant. Will the mushrooms affect the tomato plant in any way? Any answer would be appreciated. Thank you! View attachment 7935
It will not harm anything. That toad stool is a by product of decomposing organic matter. Mushrooms such as shown grow from spores and the decomposing organic matter makes a perfect growing medium. It just shows healthy soil and is nothing to worry about. Don't eat the toad stool though

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a goodly portion of my vegetables growing in straw bales (google straw bale gardening) and my 'shrooms are both plentiful and indicitave of a happy growing medium.
Those mushrooms may naturally die soon. I'd just leave them and incorporate into next seasons' garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It will not harm anything. That toad stool is a by product of decomposing organic matter. Mushrooms such as shown grow from spores and the decomposing organic matter makes a perfect growing medium. It just shows healthy soil and is nothing to worry about. Don't eat the toad stool though
The answer was very well explained. Thank you as I am also going through such similar problem.

Ask a Question