Mushrooms

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heck, even if you want to use a kit, there are some good kits online, but most that you'll find in retail stores are overpriced for what they contain.

Whatever way y'all go about it, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourselves. Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
To be honest, I wouldn't want to grow my own mushrooms. Too many of them are poisonous. It's hard to tell the difference between those that are edible and those that aren't.
I prefer to buy them in a store.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a warning about growing Oyster mushrooms indoors.

Don't.

I used to work on a mushroom farm and one of the neighbouring farms tried it. Everyone came down with Flu like symptoms from the spores in the tunnels.

Best to grow Oysters using innoculated plugs that are put into holes drilled into an outside woodpile.

They fruit in the autumn winter anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Bit of a warning about growing Oyster mushrooms indoors.

Don't.

I used to work on a mushroom farm and one of the neighbouring farms tried it. Everyone came down with Flu like symptoms from the spores in the tunnels.

Best to grow Oysters using innoculated plugs that are put into holes drilled into an outside woodpile.

They fruit in the autumn winter anyway.

Wow, that almost deters me from wanting to grow them. LOL Good thing I'm stubborn. Any advice (aside from the Oysters) you might have for properly growing them and preventing issues such as that?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that almost deters me from wanting to grow them. LOL Good thing I'm stubborn. Any advice (aside from the Oysters) you might have for properly growing them and preventing issues such as that?

I can't even reccomend an extractor fan, as the ones on the farm developed huge growths of spawn around them with the oysters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can't even reccomend an extractor fan, as the ones on the farm developed huge growths of spawn around them with the oysters
I will have to look up ways to reduce that problem. We were going to build a basement in our house that was completely sealed and grow our mushrooms in there... Not sure if that would help as it will prevent anything from getting in that we do not want in there. Of course there has to be some sort of airflow so we were going to set up filtered fans that brought air in and out. I wonder if that would work?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If you seal the floor you could wet it down to keep the humidity up, used to do that in the tunnels :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
i'd sterilise the moss first if you were gonna do that :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be honest, I wouldn't want to grow my own mushrooms. Too many of them are poisonous. It's hard to tell the difference between those that are edible and those that aren't.
I prefer to buy them in a store.

But if you grow them your self, you'd know what they were. There'd be no way to eat the wrong kind.

Also, people always seem to think that the majority of mushrooms are poisonous, while in reality there are very few mushrooms that will do more than give you stomach cramps.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mostly true, but there's always a chance that an airbourne spore could land on a mushroom kit. We had a problem with a fungus on the farm that fortunately only attacked the edible mushroom crop, wasn't harmfull to humans, but we'd get the occasional ink cap mushroom come up in the bags too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
But if you grow them your self, you'd know what they were. There'd be no way to eat the wrong kind.

Also, people always seem to think that the majority of mushrooms are poisonous, while in reality there are very few mushrooms that will do more than give you stomach cramps.

There are some species that are used medicinally for pain in places and "spiritual" purposes in others also. They create a euphoric effect and has similar properties to the mind as LSD. Those are more common then the ones that will outright kill you.

One of my favorite mushrooms grows on trees, problem is there is a poisonous version of it that is identical that is of the deadly variety and so it worries me to try and get them. I don't think there is a way to grow them in a controlled environment unfortunately.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
One of my favorite mushrooms grows on trees, problem is there is a poisonous version of it that is identical that is of the deadly variety and so it worries me to try and get them. I don't think there is a way to grow them in a controlled environment unfortunately.

What one's that then?

Also ought to add a warning, don't eat any fungus thats growing on Yew Trees (Taxus) even if it's edible.

Ask a Question