Hi first flower today on cucumber, is this a male flower

Attachments

• C76A36A8-67EA-4115-8F3F-E0925A247D8C.jpeg
    C76A36A8-67EA-4115-8F3F-E0925A247D8C.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Perfect thank you. I believe when growing in a greenhouse you have to pull the males. I’m assuming that as soon as I’m certain a flower is a male get it out straight away ?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Perfect thank you. I believe when growing in a greenhouse you have to pull the males. I’m assuming that as soon as I’m certain a flower is a male get it out straight away ?

I never have, they attract pollinators to the other flowers in the garden. But I don't have a greenhouse. Some people say you should pluck them and some say you shouldn't. I don't know... It's one of those things I think you need to test it yourself on a few different plants and monitor the outcome. I don't believe everything I hear and read so I prefer to experiment for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you pluck the male flowers how are the female flowers going to get pollinated? Unless you are growing parthenocarpic cucumbers which do not need pollination why would someone pull the male flowers. Is it supposed to enable more female flowers to develop? If so, I have serious doubts about that happening because genetics plays a major role .

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you pluck the male flowers how are the female flowers going to get pollinated? Unless you are growing parthenocarpic cucumbers which do not need pollination why would someone pull the male flowers. Is it supposed to enable more female flowers to develop? If so, I have serious doubts about that happening because genetics plays a major role .

Apparently it's suppose to better the flavor, less bitter is the most common reason. I have also heard it leaves more energy for the plant since males usually appear before females. I take all that with a grain of salt.. I simply don't believe it but never tried so can't say it's impossible but highly doubtful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've had bountiful male flowers on my cucumbers but now the females are moving in. Now I can't keep the cucumbers picked off fast enough.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah okay so leave the male flowers alone. I only ask because I have read it somewhere

When growing giant pumpkins most growers will pull off male and female flowers until they get several feet from the main stem then the morning the flower opens you pick the freshest male flower and hand pollinate the female and tie it closed, do that to 3 different ones then see what one starts growing the largest fastest and cull the other 2. That way you know for sure the freshest male flower has the best pollen for fruit setting and also no bees or anything can pollinate the female with a squash or other variety of pumpkin from a neighbors garden. Maybe people hear about pulling off the males and assume it's for other reasons then blog about it and make YouTube videos etc and it just keeps rolling and rolling as more and more people assume it's true.. I don't know? But I've also heard that and different reasons why that makes no sense. The only reason would be to get the most fresh males for maximum sized fruits and better fruit setting. But with cucumbers there is no point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
There is a third type of cucumber, usually grown indoors in the UK, which, if the males flowers are not pinched out, & the females get pollinated leads to bitter, bitter fruit, so, if it's advertised as an INDOOR CUCUMBER, pinch out the males.
Under stress, parthenocarpic cucumbers will produce male flowers, which should be removed, & the cause of the stress identified.
As outdoor cucumbers need their male flowers, they cannot be grown with the other two types.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
There is a third type of cucumber, usually grown indoors in the UK, which, if the males flowers are not pinched out, & the females get pollinated leads to bitter, bitter fruit, so, if it's advertised as an INDOOR CUCUMBER, pinch out the males.
Under stress, parthenocarpic cucumbers will produce male flowers, which should be removed, & the cause of the stress identified.
As outdoor cucumbers need their male flowers, they cannot be grown with the other two types.

That is one reason I was reading about. Is it hydrophobic?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hydrophobia is another name for rabies, could you further explain what you mean, please?

Pretty much anything like oil, wax etc that is repelled by water is also hydrophobic. A fear of water some people have is hydrophobia. Lol auto-correct likes to play games with me when I don't have my reading glasses on 😂 What I ment to ask is it hydroponic? Lol

Ask a Question