All male.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Planted about 10 butternut squash seeds. All germanated and have been growing well. Problem is all , each and every bloom is a male.

Appears I will not get any squash from those plants. Debateing just pulling them and be done with them.
I just need to under stand why?

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Planted about 10 butternut squash seeds. All germanated and have been growing well. Problem is all , each and every bloom is a male.

Appears I will not get any squash from those plants. Debateing just pulling them and be done with them.
I just need to under stand why?

Al
That is just the way squash are. One would think he would never see a female flower but it just takes time. It is a little late to be planting squash. How much longer until first frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Not going to wait much longer they have been blooming for over a month now and ya can't get fruit from a male bloom.

Al

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not going to wait much longer they have been blooming for over a month now and ya can't get fruit from a male bloom.

Al
Early this season I planted a variety of winter squash called Honey Bear. I got literally dozens of male flowers for well over a month. I felt the same way you do. I was wondering if there was something wrong but soon all I had was female flowers and very very few male flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Found a use for all the male blooms. Make a soup with them, a bit of sweet corn cooked and placed in a blender to make a smooth soup. you can add a few more blooms and a little more corn after it is blended to give it a little bit of body.

Can also chop the blooms up and add to blended eggs and cooked.

Lots of things to make with the dissapointing crop of squash.

Al

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
All cucurbits (apart from female-only cucumbers) produce male flowers first as a way of trying to pollinate other plants. (They are quite, erm... promiscuous, shall we say?)
It is normal. It is so normal that I knew what type of plants you were talking about from only the topic title.
Whether your season is long enough for certain type of squash will be better known by our N. American members, but that's a different issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
@trail twister I am just starting to get female flowers opening on my butternut squashes. I have several females on the growing tips of both the Cinderella pumpkins and the butternut squashes but they are days away from opening. I am under an hour drive from Grand Rapids. You're probably close to my dates.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Well all those vines have since dissappered from my raised beds. Yes makes sence thr males would be first followed by the femals bloom in a week or so. but when there are no females in a month why waste the space.

Al

Ask a Question