How do you remove weeds from your lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This morning, the hired hand came to clean the yard of weeds. Our method is to pull the weeds that should include the roots so they would not re-grow. It is difficult to pull the weeds when small so we make them grow a bit for easier eradication. The pulled weeds are piled up in a corner to dry. When fully dried, those weeds would be placed in the compost bin to enrich the compost for fertilizing the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lawn is small too, probably even less than yours. To remove weeds, I just dug up the plants themselves. But if I do see something pretty, I left it alone to see what comes out of it and that was some years back though. Now, my lawn care guy just mowed everything down every week since we also have a dog now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I totally agree that chemicals should be avoided when ridding your lawn of weeds. My first bad experience did actually kill the weeds but left ugly brown patches of dying grass all over my lawn. And it was pretty obvious to a lot of people that I wasn't sure what I was doing. It happened a second time too when I tried a different chemical spray. To keep your lawns fresh and green without the weed you just have to get in there or hire someone to just pull them up by the roots using hands and a small garden or knife. It may take a while, but it's truly worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I pull them out by hand too. For me, I've just always found something very therapeutic about pulling weeds. It's like an instant sense of satisfaction once you get a good one out, plus in a way I feel like once you start you just can't stop - it's almost addictive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This morning, the hired hand came to clean the yard of weeds. Our method is to pull the weeds that should include the roots so they would not re-grow. It is difficult to pull the weeds when small so we make them grow a bit for easier eradication. The pulled weeds are piled up in a corner to dry. When fully dried, those weeds would be placed in the compost bin to enrich the compost for fertilizing the plants.
Wetting the soil makes weeds easier to pull.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'm in the minority but I use chemicals. With 1 1/2 acres it's the only choice. There are weeds such as ground ivy and wild violets that even pulling won't get rid of. In the garden I do pull the weeds by hand or spot with a hand sprayer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I pull them out by hand too. For me, I've just always found something very therapeutic about pulling weeds. It's like an instant sense of satisfaction once you get a good one out, plus in a way I feel like once you start you just can't stop - it's almost addictive.

I must agree on this one. I think it makes me feel "connected" to my lawn and gardens. Just by touching the plants, watering trees and pulling weeds out really makes me feel grounded (like Earth connection). I also have to catch myself and remember to calm down when I see my kids going at the grass with their bikes or people walking on it. I just love my grass, I guess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm chemical free so any weeds that grow in my lawn I just mow them down, I can mow my front and back yard in less that a half hour and that's with taking coffee break in between doing the lawns and watching the dog roll on the freshly cut lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wetting the soil makes weeds easier to pull.

On the contrary, a wet soil is sticky so during the rainy season like what we have now, it is too difficult to pull out the weeds. That's the reason why we get a hired hand for that chore. Or maybe the soil here is clayey that's why it becomes sticky when wet. During the dry season, we ourselves pull out the weeds in our garden because it is easier than during the rainy season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I must agree on this one. I think it makes me feel "connected" to my lawn and gardens. Just by touching the plants, watering trees and pulling weeds out really makes me feel grounded (like Earth connection). I also have to catch myself and remember to calm down when I see my kids going at the grass with their bikes or people walking on it. I just love my grass, I guess.

I agree! I was having a particularly crummy day last week - I was just in a bad mood, I felt unproductive and grouchy, so I just took an hour to sit and pull weeds in the garden, and do a bit of yard beautification. I can't tell you how much better I felt afterwards.

Reminds me a bit of this...

$T2eC16hHJF8FFptLrbMPBRh()Wln-!~~60_35.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Yesterday there was a boy of about 10 years of age who knocked on our gate. He was offering his service to pull out the weed in the front garden (that is actually on the sidewalk). Our housemaid was wondering how the boy who lives quite far would come to our house for that task. Our housemaid told the boy to come back on Thursday when my husband is at home. In fairness, the weeds are already growing high and obviously needed to be pulled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
By hand. It's satisfying therapy when I've had a crummy day at work. Plus I want my area to have all the awesome wildlife coming by so pesticides are a no no.

Reaction score
We had a gardener who is maintaining our garden at my parents house and he is the one who is removing the weeds in our lawn. It took him two days to finish working on that. My mother does not want to use chemicals for removing the weeds. I remembered before when I was still living with my parents house during weekends and it is gardening time I am also helping our gardener, my mother and father in pulling the weeds Since my parents love plants and the green scenery of nature we their siblings are also like them because we grew up having a garden at home.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a relatively small lawn. Ten minutes walking on it and you can cover every square inch, so I am able to pull up my weeds by hand. I have a neighbor who insist that a herbicidal weed killer is the way to go. I don't trust chemicals though. What do you think?
I also don't like chemicals. I have an animal and am always scared they will eat the grass and poison. I think you should just do it by hand. I plan on doing that.

Reaction score
Personally, I hand pick them. I like to get into the dirt and pull weeds. I know it's a somewhat weird thing to enjoy, but I have pretty fond memories of gardening with my grandmother. Part of the gardening involved picking the weeds by the root. It reminds me of her every time I have to do the chore. :)

Ask a Question