Tomato indeterm or determ varity? do i remove flowers at 1 ft?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
Are these 2 indeterminate or 1st one is determinate ? I didnt prune 1st one in doubt of beeing determinate and do i remove lower flowers to boost there height ?

20180213_152106.jpg

View attachment 32433

This is 1st plant closeup

View attachment 32433
20180213_152128.jpg

Thnx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Why prune at all in zone 12? You need all the foliage you can get to combat sun scald. Pruning is for low sunlight areas such as in the UK. By pruning you also remove fruit production.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12b
Why prune at all in zone 12? You need all the foliage you can get to combat sun scald. Pruning is for low sunlight areas.
As far as i have researched , all have said pruning the indeterminate (vine) variety is recommended ... few reasons are that too many branches will distribute its energy in making branches and leaves rather then strong stem and fruits , it may produce very small size of fruit if too many branches , it may deprive some stems from sunlight and air if too dense below , it may be near ground that can attract parasites easily , if its vertical well built , more fruit can b yield in limited place , if ur variety is capable of reaching 7ft , how will you manage to keep 5 branches of that length in a way that all receive good sun and supported in cage , the space and sun will be compromised and their ability to produce .

Its not recommended in determinate variety as no change have been observed and it doesnot grow tall and all th fruits bloom at same time unlike in indeterminate . ( pruning here means removing suckers )

do you have any idea which variety is it ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As far as i have researched , all have said pruning the indeterminate (vine) variety is recommended ... few reasons are that too many branches will distribute its energy in making branches and leaves rather then strong stem and fruits , it may produce very small size of fruit if too many branches , it may deprive some stems from sunlight and air if too dense below , it may be near ground that can attract parasites easily , if its vertical well built , more fruit can b yield in limited place . Its not recommended in determinate variety as no change have been observed and it doesnot grow tall and all th fruits bloom at same time unlike in indeterminate . ( pruning here means removing suckers )

do you have any idea which variety is it ?
No I don't and your entire post is incorrect. I will bet that if you research where your above research was done you will find it was done in northern latitudes where sunlight is reduced. Where are you located?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would pull the flowers but they’re borderline. You can’t tell if they’re determinate or indeterminate by looking at them until later in the season. If they flower that low you may risk fruit hitting the dirt or pulling the plant down. I don’t let my tomatoes flower and fruit until they’re growing aggressively and maybe 18” to 24” tall. Do you have supports or a way to cage them?

As for pruning leaves/suckers I would let them get bigger. I only prune when necessary to increase air flow or keep the plant confined to a certain space. I’d let them get bigger first to accelerate growth.

Last edited:

Ask a Question