How to remove ivy covering a tree

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ivy is growing on two trees in the yard. The one tree is in serious danger of being killed. I looked at the ivy has grown a trunk onto the tree. How do I get rid of the ivy?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We had the same problem with wild grape. The easiest way is to take a hand saw (love my bow saw!) and cut the ivy trunk as close to the ground as possible. Even if you nick the tree you won't damage it as much as the ivy will! Then put a strong herbicide on the remaining ivy trunk, pour it directly on the cut, and with luck the ivy will get the idea and die off. The ivy that is left in the tree will wither and die and mother nature will take care of removal (wind and rot).

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks, I was thinking I would need a saw to cut the growth off the tree.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Once the trunk is severed the leaves can adapt to form ariel roots and try to force itself into the tree to survive, so pull off as much as you can, it's pretty brittle and comes away quite easy.

As MG said use a herbicide, but make sure its one suitable for brushwood.

If you really want to kill the tree off, plant a Strangler Fig :D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The one tree the ivy has just about killed there are very few limbs left on the tree. The other tree is very large and can be saved if I can stop the growth of the ivy.

Ask a Question