How to remove shrub from hedge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I recently moved into a new flat with a garden and the hedge seems to have a few different shrubs and weeds growing through it, mostly interlopers from the neighbouring gardens. There is one in particular which is a berry bush that has been left to grow up the front of the hedge and has replaced the hedge leaves at the front. The previous owner was disabled and had a council landscaping company cut the hedge for her so they just trimmed the front of the hedge and allowed the berry bush to expand and take over a space of the hedge.
My question is how would I remove this? If I cut it out all at once it will leave a big hole in the front of the hedge - will the hedge bounce back and grow to fill the gap happily enough? I've removed some of the stems already as I figured that instead of leaving myself with a large hole in the hedge, I could cut it back bit by bit and allow the hedge to adapt to it's new space. If I am cutting it out all at once should I leave it until early spring?
The bees seem to like the flowers on the berry bush so I'll be planting some extra bee-friendly flowers when this one is removed.
Thanks for any advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you know what type of hedge you have please, and perhaps the name of the bush with berries? If that's not possible pictures would help with a close up of the foliage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Originally hedges or hedgerows were complex multi-species affairs, providing all sorts of food, habitat, wood, barrier, and aesthetic features. The modern monoculture hedge pruned into laborious and unattractive, angular, geometric shapes is tiresome. Keep the berry bush and try to work some other creepers and vines into the hedge as well.

Ask a Question