How do you remove weeds from your lawn?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
husband go around with a spray thing and hits the obvious ones with a squirt, then we use weed and feed. to much property to waste my time with the lawn weeds. have gardenssss that need that time,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yesterday there was a boy of about 10 years of age who knocked on our gate. He was offering his service to pull out the weed in the front garden (that is actually on the sidewalk). Our housemaid was wondering how the boy who lives quite far would come to our house for that task. Our housemaid told the boy to come back on Thursday when my husband is at home. In fairness, the weeds are already growing high and obviously needed to be pulled.
Wow, a housemaid!. We have young kids knocking on our door to sell stuff for school program funding, I tell them I don't need any of their stuff but will PAY them MONEY to rake leaves, the looks they give me, and then they back away slowly and leave. LOL. I need a boy to stop by and want to work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Wow, a housemaid!. We have young kids knocking on our door to sell stuff for school program funding, I tell them I don't need any of their stuff but will PAY them MONEY to rake leaves, the looks they give me, and then they back away slowly and leave. LOL. I need a boy to stop by and want to work.

That's the big difference when you are in the Philippines. Hiring helping hands is easy if you have the budget. Sometimes we pay someone to sweep the road fronting our house. Just for the heck of it maybe although our ulterior motive is to give money to the old man but to give him a sense of pride, he should work for the money. We actually have 2 housemaids because of the 3 dogs that we keep inside the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
TWO housemaids, wow. Me, I do all the cleaning myself, (and its not perfect--as I work outside of the home 40 hours) We do have a budget that can support helping hands now and then, but to find someone to help with the gardens, leaves, etc. is so hard to find. Just paid someone to paint part of our house and deck--so that is good. Now I am looking at the ton of leaves that will need our attention soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
Well i use two methods. By hand and by some chemicals. Firs one is hard but i prefer it. I really do not support pesticides or whatever they are named. Nevertheless, when i do not have time i just have to use them. There are some things you need to know when you do that, besides the amount of water and the chemical. i usually ask in pharmacy and they give me the info i need. You need to know the best time to do it and the right way to do it. Last time they even gave me some solution to nurture the grass after treating the weed. There is another way to do it actually. My grandmother told me long ago. It is an organic way to remove certain weed. You simply need to plant another wild plant that is somehow destroying the one that is prominent in my area. I did that while she was alive but now i cannot find the plant. There are some bugs that feed on some weed but they actually go around the grass. Just ideas. Hope i helped.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You can uproot them before flowering stage to make sure that they will never grow again. You can also slash them if you can not uproot them. If they have seeds then make sure you burn them in a safe place so that they can never grow. It is also advisable to avoid using herbicides if you can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
A very interesting thing I've realized, in terms of the benefits of pulling your weeds at least when you get the time, is that it helps me to slow down. Everything demands attention these days so you always feel like you're on the go, even with the small amount of sleep or rest time you get. I find that when I do my lawn chores it gives me a feeling of slowing down and I actually get to think and reflect. Just pulling weeds gives me time for myself even though the task is right there still going on.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually just wet the soil a bit then pull the weeds. I also use store bought weed killer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I also do not like using chemicals and try to either pull them by hand or use vinegar. Unfortunately, with 9 acres it is virtually impossible to pull all by hand, so I have to use chemical weed killers initially in some areas. I try to pull the weeds or use vinegar close to the yard and house, and use the chemicals out in the pastures away from house.

Ask a Question