PLEASE HELP! Crown Gall On Wisteria: Should I treat or remove plant?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I inherited 2 mature wisteria at my new house which is heavily infected by what looks like crown gall.

Should I try and treat the plant by cutting the galls off and sealing the wound with a sealant, or would the best course of action be to remove the plants entirely.

2 other items related to this

1. I want to plant a tree (African Sumac) approximately 5 ft away from the infected wisteria. Is this dangerous given that the bacteria infects the soil or should it be ok since I am planing in a different location?

2. If I do end up removing the wisteria I wanted to plant bougainvillea in its place. Is this a bad idea due to the bacteria in the soil?

Pictures of the galls on the wisteria below. As you can see the galls are pretty thick at the base of the plant. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

20180411_093018.jpg
20180411_092908.jpg
20180411_092906.jpg
20180411_092913.jpg
20180411_093021.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is incredibly difficult to speculate on how a plant might react to this treatment or that cultivation without knowing at least a little about the environment in which the plant lives. For example,here in usda zone 8a, we can cut a wisteria to the ground and it will spring back vigorously, as we have no frost depths and in fact the root is incredibly hard to kill. Perhaps where you are this would be ill advised?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is incredibly difficult to speculate on how a plant might react to this treatment or that cultivation without knowing at least a little about the environment in which the plant lives. For example,here in usda zone 8a, we can cut a wisteria to the ground and it will spring back vigorously, as we have no frost depths and in fact the root is incredibly hard to kill. Perhaps where you are this would be ill advised?

Thanks for your response DirtMechanic. I am located in Los Angeles, zone 10a/10b. Our soil is pretty much all sand.

I have heard that the roots are difficult to kill and that worries me if we were to try and remove and plant something in its place. I worry that the leftover roots would further contaminate the soil.

As of right now the plant is flowering and growing new leaves. The galls are all over it but it appears for now to be surviving. If we were to just leave it would you think that planting a tree nearby would be risky given its proximity to the contaminated wisteria? Currently there is a dwarf orange and kumquat tree fairly close and they don't seem to be infected.

Thanks in advance for any further assistance

Ask a Question