How should I remove old limbs from a rose bush

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an old rose bush that has some dead limbs that I would like to remove, some of these limbs are really thick. Is there a safe way to remove these limbs without getting scratched up from the thrones and what tool should I use?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Generally I would think a one hand pruner should work, but of course you would be close to thorns (part of the pleasure of gardening, seeing of today you can avoid losing any blood :) )

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Do you have long-handled loppers? That is what I use when removing dead canes. The lopper handles are about 2' long, and are bypass pruners (anvil pruners are harder to manage, especially in tight spots).
I was out dead-heading our roses this morning, and bled a little, but that is to be expected. Some roses are thornier than others, and if you are careful, you can prune them without needing a transfusion!;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
You should go for such a pruner that takes care of the thickness of the branches. They are available in different sizes A long stemmed one would be a better choice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If the limbs are too thick for your garden pruners you could also use a small saw to remove the dead limbs. You can also snip away a few of the thorns on those limbs to make holding and pruning them easier.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestions, I will snip some of the thorns off before handling the thick limbs that need to be removed. My pruner has a long handle but it does not open wide enough for the larger limbs. I will look into getting a saw for those limbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Pat, do you have any loppers? They are more heavy duty than pruners and good for getting at the tree branches. I often use loppers and pruners for jobs like this by just working them open and closed in the same spot so that I cut through the limb or branch a little at a time - sort of like how you would use an ax (if it worked more like a scissor, lol).

Ask a Question