Glass bubble garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Are you sure about it? Some plants can look pretty good in wine glasses:) I think that it's a really nice idea.
This is not exactly a wine glass, it's smaller, but makes a quite lovely planter:

POTPLANTWINE.jpg

Reaction score
Absolutely magical! There is a glass blower nearby, I'm going to take her some of these pictures. Maybe she can make me something cool. In my old house, I had made terrariums out of huge glass wine bottles. They might not have been for wine, not sure, because the bottles were wider than a wine bottle. Anyways they were nice and all my friends seemed to like them. When I moved, I gave them to a neighbor. I wish I had taken pictures to show off!

Reaction score
@maddie, I think those globes have to be ordered. You might be able to find the clear ornaments at a large craft store since it's the holiday season.

@claudine, I can't believe you can't get light bulbs! They are everywhere here in the states! In fact, we have several types available.

In the absence of light bulbs, which are cute, but not so practical, you could always do something like this:
images
or this
images
I used to have some vases exactly like these but they were the sconces that you attach to the wall, like the first picture. My ex and I got them as a housewarming gift a million years ago. I wonder if I still have them in a box somewhere.

Reaction score
What a spectacular idea. I love these so much. They are a fun and beautiful idea. Thanks for the post, I really enjoyed these pictures and ideas that you posted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I used to have some vases exactly like these but they were the sconces that you attach to the wall, like the first picture. My ex and I got them as a housewarming gift a million years ago. I wonder if I still have them in a box somewhere.

I've been thinking about getting one of the ones you can attach to the wall. I just like the way that it looks; some of them are so pretty!

Reaction score
These are great ideas. I would love to try this. I hope that one day I will be able to devote more time to crafting. Turning those light bulbs into miniature flower/plant holders is a wonderful idea. I could see myself starting an air garden with glass I already have around the house sometime soon. Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

Reaction score
I was looking for ways to grow plants and found this. This really looks like Christmas....already... . Wow.. It will really be awesome to have some in my living room with some lovely lights.

2-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg

You could create magic in these suspended clear glass planters , you could fill these with air plants, succulents or moss to create your own small spheres of paradise.
10-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg

5-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg
Very, very nice - really brings a lightness to indoor plants. I especially like the hanging balls, it gives a 3D prism effect to things. What a keen and creative eye that you have, thanks so much for sharing that with us!

Reaction score
I was looking for ways to grow plants and found this. This really looks like Christmas....already... . Wow.. It will really be awesome to have some in my living room with some lovely lights.

2-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg

You could create magic in these suspended clear glass planters , you could fill these with air plants, succulents or moss to create your own small spheres of paradise.
10-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg

5-hanging-garden-in-glass-bubbles.jpg

You know this is actually pretty creative. :)

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is old so I never noticed it before but so glad I found it. I will never look at light bulbs the same way again!

Now that we are forced to use the 'energy efficient" lightbulbs that last forever (or 2 weeks whichever comes first) and is full of toxins so if you follow instructions if one breaks you need a hazmat suit (yes, that will save the environment) but I digress, that is another topic for another place.

I will however start looking at glass items differently before I just toss them into the recycle bin.

It looks like a majority of these are special made for growing plants. Has anyone done any cutting into used glass containers, and if so, did it work well?

These are so pretty even if I didn't like gardening I'd have to give it a try!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Meowmie, somewhere in one of the threads we discussed bulbs as vases and posted pix of other hanging vases for flowers. If you look at Pinterest there are a lot of DIY projects to turn Mason jars into sconce-like wall vases for flowers and herbs. I guess you could try a keyword search to find the other old posts.

Reaction score
I will however start looking at glass items differently before I just toss them into the recycle bin.
It looks like a majority of these are special made for growing plants. Has anyone done any cutting into used glass containers, and if so, did it work well?
These are so pretty even if I didn't like gardening I'd have to give it a try!

Although I don't do as much of it these days - yes glass cutting is really great fun and from the sound of it - I think it would be something that you would enjoy too - in fact you'd be amazed at things that can be made from discarded bottles, jars, broken crockery etc.

All you need to get started is something as simple as one of these

BOTTLE - cutter.jpg

which are available from Amazon and once you've got the hang of it - you can make anything you like - from glass mosaics, candle holders and lanterns, glass planters and vases to wind chimes like these

Bottle Garden - Wine Bottle Wndchime.jpg

Bottle Gardens - Windchimes.jpg

and just in case you should run out of ideas - here are even more ways to recycle glass bottles in the garden

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/glass-bottle-garden-ideas.1897/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Meowmie, in my country we are forced to use those ugly, energy efficient lightbulbs too. Fortunately, regular bulbs are still available in most supermarkets:) I hope they won't be banned.
But I've never tried to plant anything in them. I prefer to use small, glass vases as planters, since I don't have a glass cutter.

Reaction score
Although I don't do as much of it these days - yes glass cutting is really great fun and from the sound of it - I think it would be something that you would enjoy too - in fact you'd be amazed at things that can be made from discarded bottles, jars, broken crockery etc.

All you need to get started is something as simple as one of these

View attachment 3795

which are available from Amazon and once you've got the hang of it - you can make anything you like - from glass mosaics, candle holders and lanterns, glass planters and vases to wind chimes like these

View attachment 3793

View attachment 3794

and just in case you should run out of ideas - here are even more ways to recycle glass bottles in the garden

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/glass-bottle-garden-ideas.1897/
Love the ideas you posted. I almost bought one of those gadgets years ago but they were sold only off the T.V advertisements back then, where you pay an arm and a leg for shipping. I had since forgot about it, and was thinking of just getting a plain old glass cutter. Do you have this item, and does it do more than a small, cheap glass cutter can do?

I love all kinds of crafting, and love recycling things. Especially if some piece of garbage can be turned into something very useful.

Ask a Question