Fragrant garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...I have what is locally called Joseph's lily or Polianthes tuberosa which smells so strong.. It is impossible to live in the house with a couple stems.. they are really pretty and better left in the garden. Here is a picture of those flowers.. I thought they were lilies because of the bulbs that look like lilies.

images

These are beautiful, Maddie! They remind of a bit of gladiolas or snapdragons, only the flower clusters are so much fuller. With all those blooms on one plant stem it's no wonder the perfume would be so heady and strong as to completely permeate your home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, I have my Tea Rose perfume, I got it yesterday...and I love it:D . It really does smell like roses, it's such a feminine scent. Now I must find out if my boyfriend likes it on me - and if yes, I'll definitely wear it.

Awesome, Claudine! I'm so glad you like it. I remember it being a pretty smell that I liked very much when I was younger. If I were you, I would put it on a while before you are going to see your boyfriend; it's a little heady and unless he absolutely loves the smell of roses, it may be a bit much for him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Awesome, Claudine! I'm so glad you like it. I remember it being a pretty smell that I liked very much when I was younger. If I were you, I would put it on a while before you are going to see your boyfriend; it's a little heady and unless he absolutely loves the smell of roses, it may be a bit much for him.

It's just EDT, not EDP so it's okay. But the scent is still quite strong, I wear only a few drops of it:)
My boyfriend loves it but he told me that I smell like a doughnut - in my country doughnuts are always stuffed with rose jam:D
Thank you for telling me about this perfume!!:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My boyfriend loves it but he told me that I smell like a doughnut - in my country doughnuts are always stuffed with rose jam:D
Thank you for telling me about this perfume!!:D

That is so funny, Claudine! I'm not sure how I would feel about being told I smelled like a doughnut, lol, but since you said the ones there are stuffed with rose jam I guess it is sort of a compliment. That is, as long as you like donuts or rose jam, lol. I'm glad the perfume worked out so well for you!

I've never heard of rose jam. Ever since I saw the movie, "Like Water for Chocolate," I have been curious about cooking with roses. I am going to have to start researching this topic!

Reaction score
My favorite fragrant flower is the jasmine. I have two jasmine plants climbing up a lattice on each side of my front porch. I also love gardenias but seem to have a hard time growing them. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My favorite fragrant flower is the jasmine. I have two jasmine plants climbing up a lattice on each side of my front porch. I also love gardenias but seem to have a hard time growing them. :(

I love jasmine; yours must be the vine type. I am hoping to grow some night blooming jasmine soon; it has such a lovely smell, but it self seeds so you have to watch or you will have more jasmine bushes coming up all over.

Reaction score
I love jasmine; yours must be the vine type. I am hoping to grow some night blooming jasmine soon; it has such a lovely smell, but it self seeds so you have to watch or you will have more jasmine bushes coming up all over.
It is the vine Jasmine. It seems to be a tough plant too. Do they all self seed? I honestly didn't know that. Mine has not sprouted to other areas. I also love Orange Blossoms on the orange trees. You can smell their sweetness for miles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
That is so funny, Claudine! I'm not sure how I would feel about being told I smelled like a doughnut, lol, but since you said the ones there are stuffed with rose jam I guess it is sort of a compliment. That is, as long as you like donuts or rose jam, lol. I'm glad the perfume worked out so well for you!

I've never heard of rose jam. Ever since I saw the movie, "Like Water for Chocolate," I have been curious about cooking with roses. I am going to have to start researching this topic!

Lol, my boyfriend loves doughnuts so yes, it was a compliment:p he told me that it's a delicious smell. I can't imagine a doughnut without rose jam, they're really popular here.
I'm wearing Tea Rose now. I used it in the morning and I can still smell it (it's almost 9 pm).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It is the vine Jasmine. It seems to be a tough plant too. Do they all self seed? I honestly didn't know that. Mine has not sprouted to other areas. I also love Orange Blossoms on the orange trees. You can smell their sweetness for miles.

I've never known that particular jasmine to self seed and spread to other parts of the yard. I've only ever seen it growing on a fence on something else it it could climb on. Some people use it for ground cover, but I don't recall ever seeing a seed pod produced after the flowers die off.

Reaction score
Like any other vine jasmines kind of start growing rooting where ever the vine touches the ground and starts a fresh new plant. I love jasmines too.. The beautiful smell of jasmines that bloom in the evening is a treat for the senses. I collect a few flowers and leave them in little brass bowls to fill my bedroom with their fragrance. This is one of those must have flowers for a fragrant garden. They are hundred of varieties of jasmines to pick from.

Reaction score
Honeysuckle is my favorite fragrance along with roses. I plan to plant some honeysuckle along the fence this spring so that when I open the patio door I will smell the honeysuckle.

Definitely honeysuckle. I am so sad that I had to leave mine behind when I moved and I didn't take a cutting.

I got some Night Scented Stock seeds free with a magazine once and they were lovely, the perfume at dusk is amazing. I really must try and get some again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Like any other vine jasmines kind of start growing rooting where ever the vine touches the ground and starts a fresh new plant. I love jasmines too.. The beautiful smell of jasmines that bloom in the evening is a treat for the senses. I collect a few flowers and leave them in little brass bowls to fill my bedroom with their fragrance. This is one of those must have flowers for a fragrant garden. They are hundred of varieties of jasmines to pick from.

So true on all fronts, Maddie! I hadn't thought about how the vine takes root wherever it finds an opportunity. This is actually a good way to propagate it. You could put a container of soil near the established plant and bury a section of vine. When it roots you can cut it away from the "parent" to have new ones. I'm going to have to look around to see who I know who has an established vine!

Reaction score
So true on all fronts, Maddie! I hadn't thought about how the vine takes root wherever it finds an opportunity. This is actually a good way to propagate it. You could put a container of soil near the established plant and bury a section of vine. When it roots you can cut it away from the "parent" to have new ones. I'm going to have to look around to see who I know who has an established vine!
Yup, that is the way I got my plant. My friend had this beautiful smelling jasmine with multi petal variety, really huge and creamy. I just took a tiny container with rich compost and soil mixed and buried a nice part of the vine in the container..Now I have some heavenly smelling Jasmines. I am planning to do that with a red passion flower another friend has.. the only trouble there is she lives too far away.. but I'll do anything for a red passion flower :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I am planning to do that with a red passion flower another friend has.. the only trouble there is she lives too far away.. but I'll do anything for a red passion flower :)

Oooh, great idea! My mom's passion flower bloomed last week and it was such a wonderful surprise because I didn't know what it was. I saw these huge buds on this bushy vine and then the next morning I was in the yard with Charlie and there they were, two beautiful blooms!

Maybe your friend will root part of her vine for you?

Reaction score
Oooh, great idea! My mom's passion flower bloomed last week and it was such a wonderful surprise because I didn't know what it was. I saw these huge buds on this bushy vine and then the next morning I was in the yard with Charlie and there they were, two beautiful blooms!

Maybe your friend will root part of her vine for you?
Maybe she would if she only knew how. LOL she doesn't know a thing about gardening and couldn't be interested too. One of the girls she employs takes care of the plants. I may have to give her the instructions on how to do it.. That could make things easier for me :) Thanks for reminding me.. I completely forgot about the girl. That way I have to make only one trip. I love those passion flowers. I guess your mom's was purple or where they red?

Ask a Question