Any fragrant winter flowers that I can grow from seed now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to have an indoor fragrant winter flower this year and want to start it from seed now or in the spring, or a bulb that I can start now, I already have pansys cape primroses and cyclamens but I'd like to have a scented flower this winter too which will stay in flower for a couple of months at least, my kitchen windowsill is west facing, my bathroom windowsill is the only south facing I have but the window is obscured if that makes any difference so the sunlight is filtered

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! :)

In terms of fragrant house plants, the first one that springs to mind is hyacinth, but they flower in March / April. I'm not sure how easy it is to grow them from seed, but it is possible. The scent is beautiful. If you want something with long-lasting blooms then orchids are a good choice, but they don't tend to be fragrant.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lemon Balm is a good choice. Also indoor jasmine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
I grow Murraya from seed. It grows easily, blooms early and blooms all year, in winter, too. The aroma is strong and pleasant, but not heavy. Even one small flower spreads the fragrance around itself. I planted this Murraya a few months ago. It has a bud already.
Murraya has beautiful shiny leaves. I now spray my plant against spider mites for prophylaxis.

20180307_210956.jpg

The plant is small in size. It is better to plant a particular mini variety, it will be earlier to have flowers. This is how an adult Murraya looks. It has both berries and flowers. You can eat berries. They are not very tasty, but healthy.

639011.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I grow Murraya from seed. It grows easily, blooms early and blooms all year, in winter, too. The aroma is strong and pleasant, but not heavy. Even one small flower spreads the fragrance around itself. I planted this Murraya a few months ago. It has a bud already.
Murraya has beautiful shiny leaves. I now spray my plant against spider mites for prophylaxis.

View attachment 33279

The plant is small in size. It is better to plant a particular mini variety, it will be earlier to have flowers. This is how an adult Murraya looks. It has both berries and flowers. You can eat berries. They are not very tasty, but healthy.

View attachment 33280

Great thanks alot! If it flowers all year and is fragrant I might even buy the plant instead of growing from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Shop often offer an ordinary Murraya. It blooms when it gets big. So find a mini variety. Usually it is offered by private nurseries or plant collectors. :)

Ask a Question