Closing the garden for the winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I searched for this but didnt see anything here. I have a 15x25 vegetable plot in Toronto. Will want to close it down in the next few weeks before the weather gets too nasty.

Is this process correct?
  • remove all the weeds and old growth (it has gained a lot of weeds as i have been away for the last 3 weeks)
  • dig and turn the soil
  • cover with a dark tarp to discourage any further weeds
  • leave till spring
  • anything i should add to the soil?
Many thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
What vegetables are you growing? I've overwintered parsnip and other stuff so you might want to try saving those if you have them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
i grew radishes, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, peas, green peppers,cucumbers, beets and green peppers. Everything is done other than a few cherry tomatoes still popping up. Not much to save i dont think? And with all the weeds at this point i just thought it better to clear it all out and start over next spring

Will make some changes in amount and type of stuff i grow - my brocolli and cauliflower never eally worked and my garlic never came up

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
i grew radishes, carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, peas, green peppers,cucumbers, beets and green peppers. Everything is done other than a few cherry tomatoes still popping up. Not much to save i dont think? And with all the weeds at this point i just thought it better to clear it all out and start over next spring

Will make some changes in amount and type of stuff i grow - my brocolli and cauliflower never eally worked and my garlic never came up

Thanks
Any manure compost or things that are best mellowed over time go in now. If you have suffered any fungus or disease, the curatives go in now. Tilling alone helps expose raw soil to the uv light and dissecation of air but chances are the ground is frozen and you cannot do that readily.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Even though i am in Canada the ground wont be frozen for a while yet, probably in Dec ;)

And yes dumping some manure or compost in now sounds like a good idea so its ready for next spring. This year i started planting in mid May

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Ye, @DirtMechanic we are going to be experiencing lows in the mid 40F range for another few weeks and then gradually colder so there is still lots of time to work the soil, pull weeds etc.

@vern1 the weeds you pull now will be ones you won't be fighting the offspring of in the spring.

I do a lot of growing in containers as well and right now am using my outdoor wood oven to bake/sterilize the soil to re-use in the new year.

I start of a lot of my seedlings indoors over the winters because it gives me a jump start on the spring planting.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ye, @DirtMechanic we are going to be experiencing lows in the mid 40F range for another few weeks and then gradually colder so there is still lots of time to work the soil, pull weeds etc.

@vern1 the weeds you pull now will be ones you won't be fighting the offspring of in the spring.

I do a lot of growing in containers as well and right now am using my outdoor wood oven to bake/sterilize the soil to re-use in the new year.

I start of a lot of my seedlings indoors over the winters because it gives me a jump start on the spring planting.

Thanks Lori. When I cover the garden can I use a tarp or is it better to use hay or some type of cover crop?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hay is for insulating. I usually try to cover mine with fallen leaves. Then in the spring, I did them in. Lots of worms come for dinner :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, add manure as mulch and leaves for mulching. Add as much manure as you can and let the worms do the business. And add cupboard or tarp on top to suppress weeds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Would you be so kind as to show me this wokd oven? That is a wonderful idea for me as my woodpiles exceed my usage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Geez, winter seems to be coming early this year, here in NE Florida. Today is the second morning that I woke to chilly temps and I'm not harvesting near the water from the condensation drain of the AC as only just a week ago.

I guess I'll be planting some winter crops now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Geez, winter seems to be coming early this year, here in NE Florida. Today is the second morning that I woke to chilly temps and I'm not harvesting near the water from the condensation drain of the AC as only just a week ago.

I guess I'll be planting some winter crops now.
I guess chilly is a relative term. Our low last night was in the 50s, but the high was still mid 80s. What winter crop do you plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
46 here last night. but great for spinach, romaine, kale, etc.... lettuces are blowing up

Ask a Question