Fragrant garden

Reaction score
I love fragrance.. the natural fragrance of blooms in the mornings or at dusk brings a romantic feel to your garden. Which are your favorite flowers for a fragrant garden?
Mine would be roses and jasmines.. I love the smell of the lily of the valley from afar. What kinds of fragrant flowers you have in your garden.. if you don't have a fragrant garden what would be the top most on your wish list?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think the most fragrant flower that blooms in my garden is the white ginger. By this time next year it should have some competition from my rose cutting that just rooted, so that will be nice. Two of my favorites that are pretty prolific around town are sweet olive and night blooming jasmine. Once upon a time people here planted fragrant gardens to cover up certain smells when travel by horse and buggy was still common. This was particularly true uptown along St. Charles Avenue and in the Garden District.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My most favorite fragrant flowers are of course roses, I adore their sweet scent:D I'd love to have rose perfume.
My second favorite are violets. They're very small but they smell lovely.
I also really like the scent of the lilly of the valley.

Reaction score
An easy plant to grow that is fragrant in the afternoon is Four O'clocks. I used to call them Kool-aid plants because they reminded me of the smell of grape Kool-aid! Careful though, they are prolific and may take over an area quickly.

Reaction score
An easy plant to grow that is fragrant in the afternoon is Four O'clocks. I used to call them Kool-aid plants because they reminded me of the smell of grape Kool-aid! Careful though, they are prolific and may take over an area quickly.
Blue Iris, we have those fouro'colock plants in our apartment garden , but they seem to have no fragrance at all.. I am wondering now if there was some problem with our plants.

Reaction score
Blue Iris, we have those fouro'colock plants in our apartment garden , but they seem to have no fragrance at all.. I am wondering now if there was some problem with our plants.

Wow! That's funny! I thought maybe I had the wrong name but I just looked up pictures online and it's Four o'clocks that I've loved. They are very sweet smelling according to all the online articles, too. Weird. Maybe, it's your soil or something or maybe there is a type that has no scent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a couple of packets of four o'clock seeds that someone gave me, but they are more like a wild flower/weed that can grow into a shrub and not really the sort of plant you grow for the flowers. After my hibiscus blooms this time I'm going to trim the tops so that it doesn't get any taller and start feeding it to get it to bush out more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't know how it happened but I forgot to mention one of my favourite plants: lilac! It's not only gorgeous - I adore its color - but it also smells heavenly. Not so long time ago I was obsessed with lilac perfumes.
In my area lilac grows almost everywhere - I love walking down the streets when it's in bloom.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honeysuckle is my favorite fragrance along with roses. I plan to plant some honeysuckle along the fence this spring so that when I open the patio door I will smell the honeysuckle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oooh, honeysuckle smells wonderful! When my ginger first bloomed it reminded me of honeysuckle.

Claudine, I don't think I've ever smelled real lilacs before. They don't grow here as far as I know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can't imagine my world without lilac. Its scent is rather unique and very sweet. Maybe you'll find some lilac perfumes at a store? It's not the same but it still is quite alike. Lilac perfumes are quite popular here, where I live. Yves Rocher has some - but I'm not sure if these cosmetics are available in US.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I find that artificial versions of some flower scents just aren't as nice as the original. My aunt has this gardenia perfume that she loves. Technically, it does smell like gardenia, but there is another note, something heavy underneath that to me makes the perfume smell awful! It really makes me ill to smell it, and I like gardenias.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say roses. I love their smell. I also like lavender, smells nice. Honeysuckle too. As I wrote awhile ago in a post on this forum (for some reason it takes so LONG for me to be able to log in to this site), I only have green plants that I grow, however, my neighbor has lavender, and some kind of variety of roses planted out in the front of my house. So although I personally didn't plant the roses or lavender that are in front of my house, I water them AND enjoy them.

dim

Reaction score
best rose smell (for me) so far is David Austin gertrude jekyll .... my nose is 'old', so I only smell the stronger scented plants ...

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Showrose.asp?Showr=856

856.jpg

on the rose fragrance rating, it scores a 9/10 .... it also blooms more than once a year (at a pub, I planted 7 bare root Gertrude Jekyll last year in may, and they bloomed 3 times)

Ask a Question