winter wrapping a cedar ,will this work ?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Winter is coming and I want to cover my newly planted cedar trees ,about 4 feet high
I have a few rolls of that black gardening cloth .
Has any one tried using black ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is your cloth the weed barrier cloth or the insulating type? The weed barrier type doesn't keep out the cold near as much as the insulating kind. Even the insulating type will only give you, at max, about 12F of protection and that is with multiple wrappings. Isn't your cedar an evergreen? If so, don't wrap it in black and mulch the base heavily.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Brandon Ceder tree were planted this year.
I live in Alberta so temp drops down to -35

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I read once ,the purpose in wrapping is so the plant does not wake up if it see a lot of sun.
Now if I wrap it in this black cloth it might get warm inside and the plant will wake up thinking it is spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It appears that your hardiness zone is 3 and if so the tree will do just fine without any help as the tree is rated as a zone 3 tree. Just mulch the base and try not to worry about what the tree thinks about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I would think what little sun that is available in winter would be even more meaningful to the tree and blocking it with anything would be trading problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I had to read up on that tree because I had always thought of it as an Arborvitae. It is indeed hardy to zone 3 but I found several references that suggested wrapping young trees in landscapers mesh for winter protection.

Good to see everyone again.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I had to read up on that tree because I had always thought of it as an Arborvitae. It is indeed hardy to zone 3 but I found several references that suggested wrapping young trees in landscapers mesh for winter protection.

Good to see everyone again.

Same here! Please go awol again! Or the penalty is steep! LOL!

Ask a Question