Car ready for winter?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just washed and checked our car ready for winter. Normally we trade our car in at three years old or sooner but we love our Skoda Yeti which will be three next April and have decided to keep it. Living here on the steep valley side it becomes treacherous in winter with ice and snow; having now decided to keep the car I've just ordered four new Michelin Cross Climate tyres costing us just under £600; these tyres will be fitted on our driveway tomorrow so hopefully they will be a huge improvement over the standard summer tyres? What good is money after the accident?

https://www.tyresonthedrive.com/

I've also checked the spare wheel/tyre finding it down to 26psi so now it's correct at 32psi; it's easy to forget the spare it being tucked away so just a reminder. The screen washer bottle too needs to be kept topped up with correct liquid.

Keep safe.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Funny psi is measured in poundsbut so much is metric.

Naptha makes a good wipe to freshen up an aged windshield wiper. Naptha is a solvent for rubber, so just a wipe will usually be ok. Alchohol works in a pinch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Just got those put on my car in July, not sure they type of them, but they were Michelin. I usually ask for mileage rating, as still traveling around for work. Anyway, have to get to the auto supply store for a replacement back window wiper blade. I go in, as ask the guys to replace it for me, no charge for the service I just pay for the blade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just got those put on my car in July, not sure they type of them, but they were Michelin. I usually ask for mileage rating, as still traveling around for work. Anyway, have to get to the auto supply store for a replacement back window wiper blade. I go in, as ask the guys to replace it for me, no charge for the service I just pay for the blade.
I just rebel at the prices and the idea we need the whole wiper frame instead of just the little strip of rubber!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have winter tires for the Van, Truck and day driver Car. The classic car never goes out in the winter so it only has it's one set of tires.. The snow tires have their own steelie rims so that switching between seasons is fast. I switch before November 1st. The only thing that bothers me about having separate rims is that the winter rims don't have sensors so the dash always informs me I have low tire pressure. But I'll put up with that because each sensor is $75 plus installation and I'd rather a little annoying light than putting out over a grand.

I really hate putting the snow scraper/brush in each vehicle because it's like I'm tempting a snow storm! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My CRV with its intelligent four wheel drive and ABS and its fairly new tyres is just fine for the the reguar run to Sainsburys or Waitrose and the golf club.

But you can't be too careful, in bad weather, I've just fitted "winter wheels."

cid_004301c7bf56-cfe93b90-7f446851-ownerbob-gif.1423

jpg.1424

Seriously, they are ar better than these the normal wheels at this time of the year. They tend to slip when going up inclines on fairways, some of which on many courses can be quite steep. You've then got around 40lbs of leccy trolley and bag trying to do its own thing.
Winter wheels also cause less damage to the course where there has been heavy traffic. but they are a pain to clean even with the air line provided by the club. But like many, I've a purpose made big zip bag for the trolley, so I don't get mud all over the car boot floor.
.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like to judge a golfer by the number of wheels and gizmos on their cart. 4 wheels, motors, radio etc.

Lots of changes over the years, very few of our members don't have electric trolleys, even fewer use carry bags.
New electric trolleys have lithium batteries, a fraction of the weight of the old lead/acid ones. An option is that you can set your trolley to travel three different short distances, so you can send it towards the next tee, whilst you putt out on the one you're playing. so it's there waiting for you when you walk off the green. that is, if you haven't misjudged the distance and it ends up in a lateral stream!

You can of course hire a two-man buggy and some members have one-man buggies of their own, like large mobility scooters with fat wheels. they store them in a converted container round the back of the club house

Golf clubs have changed too, so the average player can achieve greater distances with their tee shots.

But the game hasn't changed, it's still, "Not how far, it's how many."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Lots of changes over the years, very few of our members don't have electric trolleys, even fewer use carry bags.
New electric trolleys have lithium batteries, a fraction of the weight of the old lead/acid ones. An option is that you can set your trolley to travel three different short distances, so you can send it towards the next tee, whilst you putt out on the one you're playing. so it's there waiting for you when you walk off the green. that is, if you haven't misjudged the distance and it ends up in a lateral stream!

You can of course hire a two-man buggy and some members have one-man buggies of their own, like large mobility scooters with fat wheels. they store them in a converted container round the back of the club house

Golf clubs have changed too, so the average player can achieve greater distances with their tee shots.

But the game hasn't changed, it's still, "Not how far, it's how many."
oh I know..I have a 3 driving iron I can actually hit. I thought about setting up some clubs. I like to make my own. I want a set of forged progressives with x stiff shafts. I have all the equipment, even the club bender and putter bender, graphite shaft hydraulic head remover etc. Its fun to build a set.

Ask a Question