Sowing carrots

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tried to plant some fall carrots direct sowing them into a large planter. I planted 150 over 2 weeks ago and have 4 tiny plants so far. I kept the soil slightly moist but not overly wet, planned about 1/4 - 1/2" below the soil.

Not sure what went wrong other than maybe bad seeds? I'm going to try a few more from different seed packets. Is there some tick to carrots I'm missing?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You planted them too deep. I know the directions say to plant them 1/4"-1/2 "deep but that is wrong. All you have to do is pat them down onto the soil to make good soil contact. If you like you can very very lightly sprinkle soil over the seeds. I plant them just like lettuce seeds, totally uncovered. The secret is to KEEP the soil lightly moist. Do not let them dry out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Carrots.
Posted on June 7, 2017 by Durgan
Carrots are difficult to germinate and the seed is small making handling difficult also thinning is tedious if required. My method is to encase the seed in small tissue balls, plant under a raised board at adequate spacing. Germination approaches 100 percent.
http://durgan.org/2017/June 2017/7 June 2017 Carrots/HTML/ 7 June 2017 Carrots
dsc_7483_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2017/April%202017/25%20Apil%202017%20Carrots/HTML/ 25 April 2017 Carrots.
Carrot seed is quite small and difficult to plant at an appropriate spacing. Thinning small plants is a tedious task. My method is to enclose the seed in a soft tissue ball, which makes planting easy. I only require about 200 so the task is not too onerous. Other seeding methods are to sprinkle through a device similar to a salt shaker also use seed tapes. Both have their handicaps. Planting the ball for a reasonable number is probably the most desirable method. Planting is set at about two inch spacing in a 25 foot row, which is adequate to produce single healthy not intertwined carrots.
dsc_6477_std.jpg

http://durgan.org/2017/April 2017/25 April 2017 Planting Carrots Board Method/HTML/25 April 2017 Planting Carrots Board Method
Carrot seed to obtain good germination and spacing some steps can be taken. Encapsulate the seeds to make them larger and easier to handle, and use the board method to improve germination. Adequate seed spacing at planting means no thinning of very small plants is required. Covering the seeds with a board prevents the seeds from drying out due to hot sun and moderates the soil temperature (Carrots will not germinate above 80F), and from getting moved by heavy rainfall until the plant is established. The board covering is raised with cross pieces so the emerging plant has some vertical growing space before being removed. The board is removed immediately upon the plants emerging. The board method improves germination for most seeds.
dsc_6494_std.jpg

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged Carrot Germination, Carrots. Bookmark the perm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I do recall seeing your post a while back.

I used coated seeds this time around, time will tell if that was worth it. I think I'll go throw something over then like you're board method as well. Although it may be a beach umbrella. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I used coated carrot seeds testing. IMO they are not very good. Spacing creates rows that are not a sea of green. Germination was not 100%. The board method was my most successful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I used coated carrot seeds testing. IMO they are not very good. Spacing creates rows that are not a sea of green. Germination was not 100%. The board method was my most successful.
Noted for next time for sure. I supposed I could start them inside as well. Though they seem pretty fragile for a while.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I do recall seeing your post a while back.

I used coated seeds this time around, time will tell if that was worth it. I think I'll go throw something over then like you're board method as well. Although it may be a beach umbrella. :)

LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Glad that I have read this as I have bought a packet of multicoloured carrots. Useful hints for future application. Thank you, guys!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Seed tape works well also.
Had plenty of success with that method.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm going to keep monitoring then, but it may just be too darn hot still. We are still getting temps in the mid to your 90s and soil temps in the upper 80s in the pots.

Out of curiosity, I have placed a few seeds for indoor germination where the house stay between 72-74. I'll see what pops up first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have left off! Right now I'd say about 10-15 percent of them. Hopefully more on the coming days. How long do you leave them covered? I'm sure they are getting some light through the umbrella, but I don't want to kill the new sprouts or the up and coming ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have left off! Right now I'd say about 10-15 percent of them. Hopefully more on the coming days. How long do you leave them covered? I'm sure they are getting some light through the umbrella, but I don't want to kill the new sprouts or the up and coming ones.
If not planted too deep they should all be up within 3 days.. I would remove the shade now. Sunlight will not harm the seedlings unless it is burning hot outside. Just keep them damp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is pretty hot, low to mid 90's. I'm going to leave it up until this storm passes, looks like we might get a downpour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is pretty hot, low to mid 90's. I'm going to leave it up until this storm passes, looks like we might get a downpour.
Keep the cover on. Mid 90's is too hot for carrots but you will have to remove it fairly soon or the seedlings will become very leggy. It would be better to plant seeds mid to late October after the days are shorter and the sun less intense.

Ask a Question