Growing carrots for the first time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow all my veggies in pots, not due to lack of space but cause it works out better for me (no weeds= less labor) So far I've grown cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, zucchini, potatoes, herbs and lettuce, spinach, kale...this year I would like to try growing carrots, but I don't know the first thing about growing carrots, other than start the seeds in a deep tub, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Gemma, I've never grown carrots in a container, so take my advice with a grain of salt.
I wouldn't plant the long types, but there are shorter carrots that are delicious. In our heavy soil we plant Danvers Half-long. Scarlet Nantes grows to a length of about 6" and is good for containers.
If you are feeling adventurous, there is a "rainbow" carrot that comes in four colors. The rainbows all taste like carrots, but sliced fresh in a salad, the purple, red, white, and yellow make for visual interest!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Carrots do not like over fertile soil, it tends to make them leggy and tasteless, try to get cheap compost that has less nutrient than more expensive compost.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The higher up you can get the container the better as the carrot root fly stays within a foot of the ground usually.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you use potting soil that is probably light enough for carrots. I read somewhere that they prefer sandy soil. Makes sense considering they are growing downwards.
I buy my soil at the greenhouse where I get my plants, it's a mixture of peat mos and perlite, very very light, would that due?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Gemma, peat moss and perlite isn't soil. Mix in compost or even bagged garden soil. You can plant carrots in your zone as soon as the soil can be worked (ground soil, not container soil!). I'm in zone 8 and we planted our carrots about a month ago. I'd think you could plant in late April.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
When planting carrots in my heavy soil, I create a tapered cavity where the carrot will grow, fill the cavity with sand then put the seed on top and lightly cover.
That's how I grow my parsnips.
My soil is so heavy, and our allotments so infested with carrot fly, that I've given up on conventional carrots in the ground. I grow lovely sweet chantenay carrots and finger carrots in bins, which are too high for carrot fly to reach.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Silent, one sign of a good gardener is knowing when to quit trying. I applaud your sensible decision to have a good pepper crop instead of failed carrots. I wish I had become as sensible as you earlier.
I have given up on growing pole beans. As much as I'd love to have pole beans (variety doesn't matter, I just want pole beans!) I tried for several years and met with dismal failure. Now I plant more bush beans.

Ask a Question