Discarding Air Layered Branch

Reaction score
Hello Friends,

This year in June, I had air-layered a branch of Pyracantha in my garden. It has been successful with lots of roots. So far so good.

However I had a change of mind and now I want to give the whole bush a tree shape. The branch that I air-layered is quite central to the shape I am contemplating and so I now need to retain that branch.

So my question is: Will there be any problem if I were to just cut-off the new roots and leave the original branch as it was. Will that kill the branch?

Thanks.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
No, Just trim the root balls off and see if you can sell those your have airlayered. Very good as a barrier fence to burglars and trespassers! Wish I live near you. I paid £5 for a tiny one!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

An interesting and unusual reversal. I suspect it is unlikely to be any problem, but this might depend on the exact methods used. Some air and ground layering protocols recommend partly nicking or severing the branch to be layered. This damage would not be quickly repaired, though secondary growth might eventually close over the wound. Such a branch could be susceptible to rot or breakage. It would be interesting to learn how this turned out with the Pyracantha discussed in the OP.

Ask a Question