Fragrant garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...however, my neighbor has lavender, and some kind of variety of roses planted out in the front of my house. So although I personally didn't plant the roses or lavender that are in front of my house, I water them AND enjoy them.

You have one very nice neighbor! That was very considerate of them to plant two such wonderful plants in front of your home. Maybe you'll get lucky and receive more plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, I find that artificial versions of some flower scents just aren't as nice as the original. My aunt has this gardenia perfume that she loves. Technically, it does smell like gardenia, but there is another note, something heavy underneath that to me makes the perfume smell awful! It really makes me ill to smell it, and I like gardenias.

I know, I have this problem with rose perfumes and violet perfumes - I would love to find perfect ones but I've been looking for them for a few years now without any success.
But these Yves Rocher lilac perfumes smell exactly like real lilac, it's quite amazing actually. The problem is that they're also very strong so they annoy many people:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like the Tea Rose perfume, though I don't wear it. I don't think it's expensive, but it's the sort of thing you could spritz on a silk rose and have as a decent air freshener if you wanted. It smells more like an essential oil than perfume, if you know what I mean. I almost never wear perfume though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like the Tea Rose perfume, though I don't wear it. I don't think it's expensive, but it's the sort of thing you could spritz on a silk rose and have as a decent air freshener if you wanted. It smells more like an essential oil than perfume, if you know what I mean. I almost never wear perfume though.

Are you talking about Tea Rose by Perfumer's Workshop? I googled it and it's available in my country for a reasonable price:D . Does it smell like a rose or like a rose mixed with other flowers? I'm looking for a pure rose:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It smells like roses. I can't say it smells specifically like a tea rose, but it definitely smells like rose oil. I seem to remember it having some staying power as well, unlike the average "low priced" perfume. I'm sure the store will have a tester bottle you can try.

Reaction score
I'm going to have to say roses. I love their smell. I also like lavender, smells nice. Honeysuckle too. As I wrote awhile ago in a post on this forum (for some reason it takes so LONG for me to be able to log in to this site), I only have green plants that I grow, however, my neighbor has lavender, and some kind of variety of roses planted out in the front of my house. So although I personally didn't plant the roses or lavender that are in front of my house, I water them AND enjoy them.
Lucky you!! I wish I had neighbors like yours.. None of mine are interested in plants. All they do is ask me to give mine and kill them within days.. I just went to the apartment block garden yesterday and found that some of the lovely bordering of peace lilies have dried up as the maid hasn't water them in a while.. I was almost in tears..I personally spent money and effort getting this side of the garden done.. :/ Sheesh I wish people had some more appreciation for plants and nature.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It smells like roses. I can't say it smells specifically like a tea rose, but it definitely smells like rose oil. I seem to remember it having some staying power as well, unlike the average "low priced" perfume. I'm sure the store will have a tester bottle you can try.

No, unfortunately it's available only online:( . But I've read today so many positive reviews of it and I'm more and more tempted to purchase it:D . It's not expensive at all so it's not a big risk. I've been looking for rose perfume for so long!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
..I personally spent money and effort getting this side of the garden done.. :/ Sheesh I wish people had some more appreciation for plants and nature.

They appreciate it, Maddie, they just don't appreciate the work that goes into it. They want to enjoy the end result but not have to do anything to achieve or maintain it.

...I've read today so many positive reviews of it and I'm more and more tempted to purchase it:D . It's not expensive at all so it's not a big risk. I've been looking for rose perfume for so long!

Good luck with it, Claudine! I hope you like it :)

Reaction score
They appreciate it, Maddie, they just don't appreciate the work that goes into it. They want to enjoy the end result but not have to do anything to achieve or maintain it.
I really hope so Chanell. Thankfully the rains saved those plants in time.. I was so happy to see them showing some life.. :) I haven't been too well lately and have been kind of busy.. for a couple of weeks . Now, I will personally see to it that the whole garden is watered properly. I did take up the issue with association president.. and she was indeed apologetic.
I love plants and to see them mistreated makes me so upset :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Good luck with it, Claudine! I hope you like it :)

Thank you:) . I'll probably purchase it today - and I'll let you know if it's my dream perfume. Many people write that it does smell like roses so there is a big chance that I'll like it. For sure I love the smell of rose essential oil. And if I won't like it, I'll just use it as an air freshener:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My mother has a number of small fruit trees and right now one of them is in bloom and it smells heavenly! I keep forgetting about it and then when I'm in the yard I'll think "I smell orange blossom." I then turn and realize I am standing right by the tree. Too bad you can't bottle that smell!

Reaction score
I love the fragrance of some oriental lilies.. I had a lovely white lily that smelled heavenly.. I would often stand there in the balcony to watch the moon and the smell drifting from the other balcony would carry me to another world.. somehow the bulb never it produce more though I left it in the container after I dead headed it.
The mango trees in in mom in laws yard smell so heavenly when they are in bloom.. and so does the jack fruit tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Not sure about oriental lilies, but I've been in the room with lilies in floral arrangements and the intensity of their perfume is amazing. There was a lovely arrangement once at one of the wine shops I frequent, and the lilies the arrangement were so intense, they had to be moved because you couldn't smell the wine for the flowers.

My aunt often gets Easter lilies for the church and sometimes she brings them home and you can smell them from the next room! My peace lily, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any fragrance at all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, I have my Tea Rose perfume, I got it yesterday...and I love it:D . It really does smell like roses, it's such a feminine scent. Now I must find out if my boyfriend likes it on me - and if yes, I'll definitely wear it.

Reaction score
Not sure about oriental lilies, but I've been in the room with lilies in floral arrangements and the intensity of their perfume is amazing. There was a lovely arrangement once at one of the wine shops I frequent, and the lilies the arrangement were so intense, they had to be moved because you couldn't smell the wine for the flowers.

My aunt often gets Easter lilies for the church and sometimes she brings them home and you can smell them from the next room! My peace lily, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have any fragrance at all.
Chanell peace lily isn't really a lily.. it belong to a different family the Araceae family as opposed to Liliaceae family from which true lilies come. I love the mild perfume of Easter lilies. Some lilies have a real strong smell.. I have what is locally called Joseph's lily or Polianthes tuberosa which smells so strong.. It is impossible to live in the house with a couple stems.. they are really pretty and better left in the garden. Here is a picture of those flowers.. I thought they were lilies because of the bulbs that look like lilies.

images

Ask a Question