Flowering plants keep dying -suspect soil

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I dont know the name of these , they come in all sorts of colors. The problem is they keep dying after a few weeks. I give plenty of water , so I suspect the soil.
The soil finally has worms in it , but that does not mean soil is perfect. If it is the soil , is there something missing to keep them alive ??

These plants flower all year in healthy soil. Not in mine.
screen shots are - Alive , dying , and Dead.

Attachments

• flower-alive.jpg
    flower-alive.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 32
  • dying-flower.jpg
    dying-flower.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 32
  • dead-flower.jpg
    dead-flower.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Country
United States
The plants shown are Petunia x hybrida cvs. in the Nightshade Family (Solanaceae). They want full sun, and good drainage. They will need periodic irrigation in dry weather, but less frequently with in-ground planting. Some combination of excessive irrigation and/or poor drainage may be the problem here. The first thing to try is to water deeply but less frequently. As the plants become more established, you should be able to go longer before the next irrigation. If the problem persists consider replanting on mounds with additional organic soil amendment/compost added.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I believe the last thing is what they need. I did not know that some plants can die quickly if there is No compost or organic material. Thanks. its just pure soil at the moment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Certainly adding organic matter will improve the tilth, fertility, and drainage. However, there is clearly some organic matter already present at least as mulch. How well does the soil drain and how often do you irrigate the plants? Also, how many hours of sun do the plants get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It also looks like something is nibbling the leaves. If you notice that the soil is moist/wet and the plant is wilting, you may have a Phytophthora fungal issue for which there is no cure or prevention except to plant non-susceptible plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It also looks like something is nibbling the leaves. If you notice that the soil is moist/wet and the plant is wilting, you may have a Phytophthora fungal issue for which there is no cure or prevention except to plant non-susceptible plants.
Oh, lets spray Phytophthora with potassium phosphite and see if it dies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a product called Garden Phos that works fairly well if you use it when you first plant and once a week or so. If/when the inoculant builds up high enough, even it doesn't work all that well. Phytophthora wilt is one of the reasons I don't plant Petunias anymore and limit planting Vinca and Pansies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There is a product called Garden Phos that works fairly well if you use it when you first plant and once a week or so. If/when the inoculant builds up high enough, even it doesn't work all that well. Phytophthora wilt is one of the reasons I don't plant Petunias anymore and limit planting Vinca and Pansies.
That same disease is call sudden oak death. You use product as a drench. 2-6 oz per gallon. It is more common in cases if sudden plant death than one would think. But...it solves a host of other fungal problems as well.

Ask a Question