Plants not flowering

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not exactly greenhouse but closest that made sense:

I'm growing some veggies in my basement, under grow lights. They're doing well overall - the plants are very healthy, but I'm having a few problems.

Cucumber: (variety Socrates) I'm getting a lot of small fruit, about 1" long, with flowers, but they don't get any bigger. I'm beginning to think I may not get any: variety is gynoecious, it was supposed to be self-fertilizing but maybe not? If that's not it, any suggestions on getting the fruit to grow?

Tomato: (variety BHN-589) No flowers, no buds for flowers. Maybe I just need to wait longer, but I thought I'd be seeing SOMETHING by now. I'm wondering if it might be a bit too cold? The pots are on heat mats but the air temp is pretty cool, probably around 65 maybe a bit less.

Pepper: (variety Sprinter) Same as the tomato, with the same questions.

I was a bit concerned about the Zucchini (Partenon) too - it set and dropped some really small ones, but it seems to have set a couple over the last couple days that are growing.

This is my first time doing anything inside like this so I'm not sure what I might be doing wrong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My (very uneducated) guess would be air temperature and humidity. My unregulated inside humidity over here in Durham has been hovering around 30%. Maybe try a heated humidifier?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
United States
It maybe too cold for them. They like warmth and humidity. I agree with using a humidifier. How many grow lights are using?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The luminosity is a math statement. Basically wattage. So many watts per square meter. Btu per square foot per hour. There are charts all over the net about how much energy your patch of earth gets from the sun. And you can compare that to the grow lights. I know they are weak compared to the sun but its really a question of sufficiency.

No flowers can come from too much nitrogen.

Ask a Question