Help Identifying Two Different Purple Flowering Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm looking for help identifying two different purple flowers that have bloomed over the last several weeks: I live in southern Connecticut on Long Island Sound. They each are in a different part of my yard.
Thanks for any ID assistance you can provide!

1. The first one is around 2-3 feet tall.
Area 06 - purple flower - no1.jpeg
Area 06 - purple flower - no3.jpeg
Area 06 - purple flower -no2.jpeg

2. The second one is around 3-4 feet tall and consists of multiple blooms atop a single tall stem.
Area 10B - purple flower - no1.jpeg
Area 10B - purple flower - no2.jpeg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think the second one is a type of Campanula. Campanula rapunculas. Also known as Bellflower. :unsure: Not positive, but they look a lot alike.

upload_2017-7-19_11-9-13.jpeg
upload_2017-7-19_11-9-50.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
1st Plant: Phlox paniculata 'Laura' in the Jacob's Ladder Family (Polemoniaceae). The white halo on the dark pink corolla makes 'Laura' a particularly distinctive cultivar.

2nd Plant: most likely Creeping Bellflower (Campanula ranunculoides), but take note that the Great Bellfower (Campanula latifolia), and Ladybells (Adenophora spp.) are similar to Creeping Bellfower, all three are members of the Bellflower Family (Campanulaceae),.

Ask a Question