Help identifying these please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
3B15BEDB-B03B-4279-B588-00A5E8A91DB7.jpeg
F23C9793-11D1-4B36-AF57-DFFE80D52924.jpeg
Hi could some one please help me identify these to please and can I take cuttings?
Many thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
983A2D3F-04ED-44D1-9B1F-D9CEBB006240.jpeg
Also I got these of freecycle have no idea what they are? I know there a house plant and in very poor condition how can I save them I have repotted them in half compost half sand have I done the right thing and are they salvageable ?
Many thanks

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I think number 1 and 2 are hebes Very nice evergreen. Cuttings root very easily.

Last two could be Wandering Jew plant. Could be wrong!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Avoid taking cuttings from stems which have flowers on them. Use a sharp knife to cut off a 10cm / 4in stem just below a leaf node. Trim off lower leaves so that only four or so remain at the top. You can dip the base of the cutting in hormone rooting powder but this is entirely optional, we don't do this.
Expert advice on growing Hebes in the UK - GardenFocused

According to RHS

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=404

When to take semi-ripe cuttings

Semi-ripe cuttings are selected from this season’s growth. The base of the cutting should be hard, while the tip is still soft. This material is available in late summer until mid-autumn.

Suitable for...

Climbers, including ivy, passion flower, Solanum and Trachelospermum, lend themselves to semi-ripe cuttings.

Evergreen shrubs such as Artemisia, Berberis, Brachyglottis, Camellia, Ceanothus, Choisya, Cistus, Convolvulus cneorum, Erica, Hebe, Fatsia, Mahonia and Viburnum.

Or, you could layer some branches. Scrape the bottom side of some stems and prepare some moist and free-draining compost (50% sand 50% compost) and bury them stems. This won't harm the parent plant and isn't so stressful for the layered stem as the mother plant is still supplying the layered branches their needs.

You can actually take them now. Just cut some without flowers. I personally prefer layering. I am the lazy sort!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you so much for your help :)
We live in a rented house at the min but hopefully will buy a house next spring so want to take cuttings and grow in planters so I can take them with me when we move
Thanks again

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you buy a house with a south facing garden - nice and quiet and don't need to move again.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks ! not really bothered about the house it’s all about the garden for me - I would be happy with a quilt in the greenhouse not sure my better half would agree :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any idea what the 3rd pic above is ? And what should I do with it ?
Sorry to bombard you with questions !

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, sorry! Numbers 1 and 2 are both hebes. They are evergreen and are lovely plants to have although they have different coloured flowers. The last one is the Wandering Jew. I could be wrong with the last one as I don't like it, so I don't pay much attention.

If it is Wandering Jew, please read this

https://getbusygardening.com/wandering-jew-plant-care/

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m not over keen just like anything for free just fancied seeing if I could save it from the compost bin lol :)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Gee! You sound like me. If it's free or reduced, I will have it! Ooops!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If only you could see my shed and garage think they could make a whole new series of hoarders lol
I can’t believe what some people want rid of other wise they will dump it in land fill ! Example a lady on freecycle was about to take to the tip four Belfast sinks I snapped her arm off think I may have broke my car as they weighed a tonne lol

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If only you could see my shed and garage think they could make a whole new series of hoarders lol
I can’t believe what some people want rid of other wise they will dump it in land fill ! Example a lady on freecycle was about to take to the tip four Belfast sinks I snapped her arm off think I may have broke my car as they weighed a tonne lol

Belfast sinks are very pretty. Haha! You remind me of my attempt to get some sub-base. I didn't even know what it was for. All I knew was it was FREE and will be useful. So we went and the homeowner helped us carry the heavy bags out from his very narrow house. Then he said to me, "I think you should be very careful. I don't want to break your axle!" Gee, be very careful These freebies could end up costing you. :eek:. He's a very nice man and he asked his wife to email me to find out if my axle was in once piece the following day!:eek::eek:

Ask a Question