Edible flowering plants

Reaction score
This is new to me but I saw at the Dollar Tree, edible plant mini garden in a plastic egg. It came with everything you needed to grow the mini garden. It even had ideas to where you could put the edible blooming flowers such as cakes, soups and other dishes.

Has anyone attempted a blooming flower garden that's edible? I really want to try one so I may go back and get a few of the kits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I know that some flowers are edible. I just haven't tried eating one yet. Dollar Tree is too expensive though. I am curious if anyone here tried this yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard that rose flowers are delicious, but I haven't tried them yet. I think I would feel really weird if I tried to eat my own roses:p I prefer to just look at them!
As far as I know, most flowers are edible.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
As long as you haven't sprayed your flowers with an insecticide, eating flowers should be safe, if not exactly tasty in every instance.
Nasturtiums, violets, chive flowers are good added to green salads: rose hips (those round red or orange things that develop after the flower falls off) make a good tea high in vitamin C; and borage flowers add a cucumbery taste to salads, but some folks don't like the texture of either the flowers or the leaves.

Reaction score
Rose hips are also an excellent source of vitamin C. As marlingardener mentioned, borage adds not only a delightful taste to salads but it is also a medicinal herb.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have one of those little eggs. I got the one with Johnny Jump ups. I haven't had a time to start the seeds in the little egg where I could properly monitor them so I haven't tried it. However, I got violas on sale at Lowes recently so I don't really need the mini greenhouse egg. I got pansies at the same time, but I suppose I could still plant the seeds the "normal' way as extras with my other violas.

Reaction score
We sometimes eat daylillies and squash flowers. There is a time that the day lilies have less oxcylic acid present, but I don't exactly remember when.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I know that may people eat squash blossoms filled with cheese. It sounds like really delicious treat, doesn't it? I want to give it a try. I wish I was better at cooking and preparing meals!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know that may people eat squash blossoms filled with cheese. It sounds like really delicious treat, doesn't it? I want to give it a try. I wish I was better at cooking and preparing meals!

Claudine I made them last year when I received squash blossoms in my box from the farmer's market. I was so excited to have the opportunity! I did them for my mother and she wanted to start growing the plants just for the flowers! I use softened cream cheese with herbs from my garden and lemon zest for the filling.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know that some flowers are edible. I just haven't tried eating one yet. Dollar Tree is too expensive though. I am curious if anyone here tried this yet.

Dollar Tree is $1 for EVERYTHING. How is that too expensive? I just got edible flowers at Lowes on clearance for $1, and as usual, there was more than one plant in each container. I got three containers of violas and one of pansies. Looking forward to using them in salads and drinks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine I made them last year when I received squash blossoms in my box from the farmer's market. I was so excited to have the opportunity! I did them for my mother and she wanted to start growing the plants just for the flowers! I use softened cream cheese with herbs from my garden and lemon zest for the filling.
Reading your post made me very hungry! Squash blossoms filled with cream cheese with herbs and zest sound delightful:love:
I wish it was summer. If it was, I'd go to my mother's garden right now and I'd pick some squash flowers:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting, I have seen flowers on cakes and sandwichs and I know some people eat flowers, but I have not tried it yet. The rosehips on my bush are calling me to come and pluck them to make some tea. Thanks for the idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Interesting, I have seen flowers on cakes and sandwichs and I know some people eat flowers, but I have not tried it yet. The rosehips on my bush are calling me to come and pluck them to make some tea. Thanks for the idea.

What type of bush is it? The roses in front of the house at garden #2 have a few hips, but unfortunately I don't know the variety. I am trying to propagate cuttings from it so I can try and cultivate hips. I read an article that tells you how to collect the pollen, hand pollinate the flowers, and later harvest the hips.

The ones here just were too few or too small and seemed to be taking forever to "ripen."

Ask a Question