Favorite Flowers

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of my favorite flowers is a bachelor button, also known as a cornflower. I love the blue ones the best, since it's one of the few naturally blue flowers. I want to grow the black bachelor buttons this year with the blue. I also like growing a succulent called a sunflower that creeps across the ground or hangs, depending on where it's planted, that has little bright pink flowers.

What are some of your favorite flowers?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like cornflowers, but worry about their invasiveness here in the US.
I have far too many favorites. My favorite native blue-flowered plants are

Blue-eyed Grass, Spiderwort, and Great Blue Lobelia
IMG_0339 copy.jpg IMG_3262 copy.jpg IMG_2860 copy.jpg IMG_1397 (2) copy.jpg IMG_3841 copy.jpg IMG_3789 copy.jpg

My absolute favorite flowers are:

Orange Milkweed.
IMG_2995 copy.jpg IMG_2998 (2) copy.jpg IMG_1531 copy.jpg

Blanket Flower.
IMG_2877 (2) copy.jpg IMG_2858 (2) copy.jpg IMG_3741 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
For me I would say my absolute favorites are tulips and gerberas. They always just seem so bright and cheery looking to me. Really though I like most flowers - I don't think there's any flower that doesn't have its own special beauty. But when my husband buys me flowers, for instance, he always buys me something with gerberas in the bouquet because he knows how they make me happy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I could go for days so I will just pick some of my favourites. First I had to google for English names of course. So, I adore Lily of the Valley even though it is highly poisonous.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01824/Lily-of-the-valley_1824051a.jpg

Narcissus is another one that I think is beautiful and it is active in this time of year.

http://sierraflowerfinder.blob.core...ictures/7044/NarcissusIceFollies030205[1].jpg

Yet another beautiful flower is a wallflower or clove gilly flower.

http://floranova.com/images/made/im...r_Rush_Orange_10041194_360_360_c1_c_c_0_0.jpg

Geranimus is also wonderful on the terrace in huge amounts.

http://m7.i.pbase.com/v3/97/535297/2/44641777.IMG_6143.jpg

Mesembryanthemum or Fig marigold is so beautiful and eye pleasing.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/17/9c/80179c73e63647f40fe608cb14b90b7d.jpg

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My first favorite is the rose then I would go for the dahlia, but all flowers all beautiful to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also love the blue cornflowers, and I had them before in my garden, but my favorite is African daisy! They come in different colors and are just beautiful. Then again, what flowers are not beautiful?

Reaction score
Amaryllis!

To my delight, I found out they are half-hardy in my area. At $7 a bulb they are expensive, but I can buy one, enjoy the flower inside, and then plant it outside. A heap of leaves should help them winter over!

I have the first of (hopefully) many out on my back deck hardening off: soon I will plant it!

Reaction score
I think my favorite would be clematis vines but then my favorite's change according to what is blooming through the season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Soooooo difficult to choose:giggle:. I have a red clematis growing in my garden which I love but I think I love everything. Maybe I don't love Forget-Me-Knots. I know they are very pretty but their seeds stick to your clothing and they have just spread and spread and spread in my garden. In fact I wish I'd forgotten to plant Forget-Me-Knots:confused:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
What a fun topic. There so many that i love. Today, right now i would have to name my 3 top choices as Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides (formerly Senecio confusus)...the taxonomists really out did themselves. I call it Senecio, in the US it is referred to as Mexican Flame Vine (1st photo), then i would have to say Passiflora edulis (2nd photo) Both of these have such a lovely fragrance. The 3rd would have to be Dalechampia dioscoreifolia, a Costa Rican vine...no fragrance but a very entertaining flower...really it does make me laugh. This flower changes appearance almost daily until it decides to make seeds. The yellow "face" is very sticky and will you look at those 3 rubbery red booties and the hula skirt in addition to the purple of the bracts. It serves a purpose in my garden as being a host plant for Cracker butterflies.
P1000854a.jpg

IMG_0986.JPG

P1000077.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Great name too, Cas. I'v not had much luck with cornflowers. Will keep trying but maybe put more thought into where I actually plant them because there are some really lovely ones. Your Razz Matazz is very pretty.
I love the passionfruit flower too Beverley. I can manage to grow that one and it is just starting to produce flowers and fruit now.

Last edited:

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@DeborahJane I lost some really nice big groups of coneflower one winter. It was a real wet spring and where they were planted didn't drain well enough, so the roots rotted. I have since raised the bed and planted new coneflower. The only one that made it was the razzmatazz. I think it was because it was next to a bush that helped soak up some of the water. So when finding a spot for them, be sure it drains well!

Ask a Question