Favorite Flowers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@DeborahJane, congrats on the Passiflora! I found mine to be an exuberant grower, really a wonder of nature. Most of the pollinators love the flowers (mostly bees and hummingbirds). Do you have hummingbirds where you live...something tells me perhaps not but have sun birds? The spicy fragrance of the flowers is heavenly, or so methinks. Are your fruits purple or yellow? I had the larger yellow fruits. They will frequently fall off the vine before they are ripe. When the fruit starts to wrinkle...it is ripe. I love the juice but most recipes and videos show people making the juice with an obscene amount of white sugar that just gives me the creeps. The fruit is a little bit tart and has lots of seeds. Now when i find a ripe fruit i don't bother with the juice, i just cut it in half and scoop out the pulp with a spoon, seeds and all. I serve them that way too. They are a calming fruit full of vitamins and minerals. But maybe you know this already. What is your vine growing on?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane, congrats on the Passiflora! I found mine to be an exuberant grower, really a wonder of nature. Most of the pollinators love the flowers (mostly bees and hummingbirds). Do you have hummingbirds where you live...something tells me perhaps not but have sun birds? The spicy fragrance of the flowers is heavenly, or so methinks. Are your fruits purple or yellow? I had the larger yellow fruits. They will frequently fall off the vine before they are ripe. When the fruit starts to wrinkle...it is ripe. I love the juice but most recipes and videos show people making the juice with an obscene amount of white sugar that just gives me the creeps. The fruit is a little bit tart and has lots of seeds. Now when i find a ripe fruit i don't bother with the juice, i just cut it in half and scoop out the pulp with a spoon, seeds and all. I serve them that way too. They are a calming fruit full of vitamins and minerals. But maybe you know this already. What is your vine growing on?
1459660616084-586006677.jpg

Mine too is an exuberant grower as you can see Beverley. This is my purple passionfruit growing on a fence, not that you can see much of the fence. And I cut it right back after last years season, so much so i was worried I'd done it some damage but as you can see it's recovered. I have had a few passionfruits so far this season with lots more to come. I agree entirely with you, the fruit scooped out with a spoon is delicious, no need for any sugar at all. We do have beautiful little honey eater birds but I've not seen them on my passion fruit vine. I see them on my abutalon often.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Amaryllis!

To my delight, I found out they are half-hardy in my area. At $7 a bulb they are expensive, but I can buy one, enjoy the flower inside, and then plant it outside. A heap of leaves should help them winter over!

I have the first of (hopefully) many out on my back deck hardening off: soon I will plant it!

You beat me to it. This is my absolute favorite flower. There may be plenty of other flowers out there more colorful but this one is close to my heart and has deep memories for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
Since most flowers are so beautiful, it is hard to choose a favourite, but for me it would have to be tulips, lilies, and bouganvillea. I love to see a garden full of different coloured lilies. Bouganvillea plants give some lovely coloured flowers too - purple, bright pink, red, and yellow, with the bright pink ones being my absolute favourites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi @DeborahJane. So you are already a Passiflora pro:) Somehow i got the impression that this was a new plant for you. That fence looks like a great place for it. Of course it will grow up a large tree as well but it is much harder to access the fruit, enjoy the fragrance, or tend to the plant. I wonder if there are fruit picking drones? I've never had a purple colored fruit but i think i read somewhere that they are somewhat sweeter than the larger yellow variety. Hmmm, i guess i should have quoted your post...i always forget to do that:rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My favorite flowers are white roses. They're absolutely gorgeous! Every rose looks like a wonderful piece of art:love:
I also love purple lilacs, white tulips and blue hyacinths.

Reaction score
I love orchids. They're easy to maintain, they look pretty and they come in varied colors. We have a native one growing in my garden called a Waling-Waling which comes in a beautiful pink to purple color with dashes of red. I also love sunflowers too bad I can't grow them in my backyard though.

Ask a Question