Easiest herbs to grow?

Reaction score
I agree with the people who say mint. Mine died recently then the next time I looked at it, it was sprouting again. It can get a bit out of control if you're not careful though. To add to it, Basil is pretty hard to kill and goes good on alot of things.

Reaction score
Mint, basil, oregano, and parsley are probably the easiest ones both indoors and out.Mint is nice indoors especially if you put it in a hanging basket. Herbs like a sunny location if they are going to thrive at all, otherwise they get leggy.

Agreed. The first herbs I had were basil and mint and they grew easily and prolifically. My herbs died eventually because something was eating them, but I had them for a long time and they got pretty big.

Reaction score
All herbs are regarded as easy to grow, but would agree with both Claudine and Trellum that all types of mint and basil are probably considered to be the easiest, along with chives, cilantro and parsley, with parsley being a really good choice for indoor growing as it requires a lot less light than some of the other varieties of herbs.

Although I agree that all herb are easy to grow and you can scatter seeds just about anywhere, The winner for my is Rosemary. Not only is this little beauty a fine smelling aromatic, but once you get a few plants established you can take stacks of cuttings to make more plants and they will be very forgiving. Also you don't need to buy new ones/seeds every year.

Reaction score
I have always had a bit of a problem with bugs. I think next time I try to do mine I will do it on the screened in porch. I thought that chives were pretty easy to grow!

Reaction score
Although I agree that all herb are easy to grow and you can scatter seeds just about anywhere, The winner for my is Rosemary. Not only is this little beauty a fine smelling aromatic, but once you get a few plants established you can take stacks of cuttings to make more plants and they will be very forgiving. Also you don't need to buy new ones/seeds every year.

I would agree you with Rosemary like all the other herbs is extremely easy to grow and especially where I live as it grows wild - so I'm very lucky because its totally free - and I never have to buy seeds as it continually keeps regenerating itself - but would agree with you - that it is, once established a very forgiving plant and you seem to be able to do anything with it - that is apart from trying to grow it indoors - where it doesn't fare very well - so am assuming that you are growing yours outside as you are having so much success with it - would I be right in thinking that ? :)

Reaction score
I would agree you with Rosemary like all the other herbs is extremely easy to grow and especially where I live as it grows wild - so I'm very lucky because its totally free - and I never have to buy seeds as it continually keeps regenerating itself - but would agree with you - that it is, once established a very forgiving plant and you seem to be able to do anything with it - that is apart from trying to grow it indoors - where it doesn't fare very well - so am assuming that you are growing yours outside as you are having so much success with it - would I be right in thinking that ? :)

I don't know why you would be attempting to grow it anywhere else to be honest. In a window box maybe at the very least ;). It can flourish given some fresh air and pot area to grow. The root system is key like anything; as much as you can give any herb. This one will last even with the family dog rooting it up; so ha, maybe best kept in the window box.

Reaction score
I don't know why you would be attempting to grow it anywhere else to be honest. In a window box maybe at the very least ;). It can flourish given some fresh air and pot area to grow. The root system is key like anything; as much as you can give any herb. This one will last even with the family dog rooting it up; so ha, maybe best kept in the window box.

Well I for one - wouldn't be - as I grow everything outside - but there are many people and quite of lot of them belong to this forum - who like to grow their own herbs and either choose to or have no other option when growing them - than to grow them inside - often on the kitchen windowsill - which is why it was necessary to mention - that rosemary doesn't do very well when grown inside :D

Reaction score
Well I for one - wouldn't be - as I grow everything outside - but there are many people and quite of lot of them belong to this forum - who like to grow their own herbs and either choose to or have no other option when growing them - than to grow them inside - often on the kitchen windowsill - which is why it was necessary to mention - that rosemary doesn't do very well when grown inside :D

That's good to know thanks. I have only ever had experience with growing soft herbs from one of those window boxes we got bought. Kept on getting a load of little nasties in the soil, probably from the moist, humid conductions. I'm so glad I've been blessed with plenty of room outside to grow now.

Ask a Question