easiest fruit tree to grow and maintain?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would really like to grow a fruit tree in my yard. I would like to make an I formed decision since it will be around for many years. What is your favorite fruit tree? How hard or easy is it to maintain? I'm looking to be persuaded towards a tree type so please feel free to persuade away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Pear grow two, Avoid apple they need a bit too much care, Cherry except for birds, You probably have some fruit trees that will grow in your Zone 7b of which I am not aware being in Zone 5.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As @Durgan said pear trees are a good choice as a low maintenance tree and will last a long time. A tree that is even easier is a pomegranate and it is also long lived and I think quite a bit showier than pears.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you would consider a tall bush, you could grow blackberries (thornless variety). I have found them easy to grow. The first summer there will be no berries as they are becoming established. My second summer I picked around 100 blackberries. This is my third summer and I picked over 300 this summer. The fruiting time here in North Texas is in June. I usually get 10 to 15 berries daily during this month. I can't wait to see how many I get next summer.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Guavas are very easy to grow and they require very little care. Though they have been domesticated, they retain most of their wild characteristics and are not affected by the vagaries of weather. They require no fertilizers or chemicals to grow well. The only problem is the fruitfly which attacks the nature fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I forgot to mention I actually have a pear tree. It was growing here when I moved in and that's what started my fascination. I love cherries so I may try growing one. Has anyone ever grown a banana tree?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I forgot to mention I actually have a pear tree. It was growing here when I moved in and that's what started my fascination. I love cherries so I may try growing one. Has anyone ever grown a banana tree?
I have grown bananas. To have fruit you must live in an area that doesn't freeze

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
If you are in a tropical country, I'd say sugar apple because it is easy to grow and quick to bear fruit - in 2 years time from planting the seed, you can expect flowers to emerge. But if you are in the temperate zone, I guess it would be either apple or pear but I am betting on apple as the most popular. However, I cannot say more about cultivating an apple tree because I have no experience in that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Where do you live? Where you live and what type of soil (alkaline/acidic) will determine what you can grow. The zone you are in only acts as a guide as for hardiness (temperatures).

Reaction score
Country
United States

I have about a dozen banana trees, I don´t really consider them trees though since I chop them down when they produce a bunch of bananas and then have a new plant grow from the trunk. They are not a permanent tree like a cherry or apple tree, more like a fast growing plant.

They are cool looking and interesting if you are from the USA, but honestly the amount of bananas they produce ( a bunch every few months) is just not worth the effort of cleaning up the plants after you chop them down or dealing with the sap. In central america where I am now, they are also the preferred home of tarantula spiders, so a lot of people make the mistake of putting the banana trees too close to their homes, so get nice 10 inch tarantulas on their ceilings and stuff.

I would go with cherry trees, absolutely stunning in the spring, and if you can keep the birds away, produce a nice amount of fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My family has two big apple trees. I think they're easy to grow. All they need is pruning once a year. We also have a cherry tree and a really old pear tree. I love them:)
Most fruit trees don't need anything special.

Ask a Question