What Type of Fern is the easiest to maintain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Throughout the winter, I can usually maintain all my houseplants but my ferns. They never truly die, like a wandering Jew, but they guzzle water like mad the heat I have to keep them makes them look like they're dying. They're getting ample sunlight even in the winter, plenty of water (but not overdrowning, I'm cautious on that end). I don't get why they continually go down.

Which fern do you find the easiest to maintain in an indoor environment? And what temps and how often do you feed it? Do you use and nutrient rich soils?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When I was a teenager, I had a miniature fern. It was very easy to grow! I didn't feed it, because back then I had no idea that plants need a fertilizer;) As for watering, I kept forgetting about it. Yet, the fern was always very healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your information and links to how to care for it, I was missing a couple essential steps and that's why they kept dying on me over and over. I think I'll be able to properly maintain them this season. :D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Misting the fern to keep it moist is something that has to be done to keep the plant healthy or keep it in a room that has lots of mositure like the bathroom. I have a small fern that needs to be repotted and some more moisture in the air. Ferns are so pretty when they are large and have that deep green color. I like to have the plants outside as well as inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
That is were I usually keep mine. The moisture from the shower alone helps a great deal with ferns. And if you have a great light source (like a window) they really thrive.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I keep mine on a porch, but they have their own heaters so I can maintain the constant temperature in the room. They hang, and I mist them constantly to keep the sheen on the leaves. However, I was not repotting them nearly as frequently as I should have and I think that rot may or may not be the culprit. I'm starting to form better opinions.

I know I didn't kill it with water, though, because they drink like a sieve. The water just gets gulped right up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My favorite fern is the golden button fern. It is a small fern takes my overwatering and makes lots of little baby ferns to give away or refresh your pot. Seems I am dividing every year so they only get new nutrients with the new potting soil. My stag horns get so big I have to rehome them after a few years. I have one now that is beginning to encroach on the hallway in the breezeway. The golden button ferns are small enough to sit on a window sill or in a pot that doesn't cover up the entire table top. I also have many young fishtail ferns that sprouted in a pot with another house plant. I know they get quite large, but when they do I put them outside in the woodland garden.

This is the golden button fern.
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used to have Boston Ferns but they tend to turn into a piece of furniture since they get so large over time. My tastes chage over time and have more small hanging succulents and cactus now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been more aimed on Cacti myself and smaller shrubs since my living space has dwindled from a two story home with a porch to an apartment with two rooms. I'm thinking of ditching the ones that are larger or giving them to another greenie I know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've been more aimed on Cacti myself and smaller shrubs since my living space has dwindled from a two story home with a porch to an apartment with two rooms. I'm thinking of ditching the ones that are larger or giving them to another greenie I know.
Yes, I love my rat tail, drunkard's and mistletoe cactus. They are all slower to grow and have thin long hanging 'branches'. Tiny plants for a small space. ;)

Ask a Question