What are the easiest herbs to grow?

Reaction score
I have done a lot of gardening as a child (with my parents) and now within the last couple years I have been growing vegetables in my own garden. I have not tried to grow herbs, except for growing garlic and I didn't start it at a good time.

I am looking to grow some herbs and don't know which ones go well in the garden and which ones are easy. I do like to cook with various herbs so this can be a range of many. I will start out easy since the only herb I remember growing when I was a child was horseradish which was a leave it and forget it kind of thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use a lot of rosemary in the kitchen and I've never had a problem growing it - that might be another one to add to your list! Then there is also bay, thyme and mint which are also easy to grow. Bay in particular is a nice one because the trees look so beautiful in the garden too :)

Reaction score
I found basil easy to grow. I planted some from seed and I didn't really have to babysit it that much. I found it to need minimal care and it grows pretty fast.
The basil I planted last summer is already tall and has purple flowers.

Reaction score
I agree basil is very easy to grow..After suing the leaves in your cooking just take the stalks and plant them in little containers.. use a spray can to keep soil moist.. or cut a clear plastic soda bottle and use the bottom half to cover your container and keep the humidity and moistness of the soil intact. These plants grow like crazy.. you could also start them from seeds.
Rosemary is also easy to grow from fresh stalks. Sage also grows well from cuttings.
Thyme can be raised from seeds. I love to use thyme in cooking.
However, my most favorite herb is the cilantro. I grow them from seeds the way we grow any other plant from seeds.

Reaction score
I agree with several of the above. I can grow them in my window and they're not difficult at all.

Another would be chives. Those are super easy, too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I really like oregano. I started out with a couple little plants that I got at the store, and grew them in pots at first. When they outgrew the pots, I planted them outside in the yard, and again, they grew and spread. Each spring, I dug some up around the edges of the clumps, and planted it along the fence, until I had it growing all up and down the fence line. Just as it was about to bloom, I would cut it back, and dry the leaves for winter. I gave away dried oregano, and baby starts, I had so much of it, and used it in everything I could think of when cooking.

Reaction score
I found basil easy to grow. I planted some from seed and I didn't really have to babysit it that much. I found it to need minimal care and it grows pretty fast.
The basil I planted last summer is already tall and has purple flowers.
I heard growing basil is good for keeping the flies away too and we had an enormous amount of flies last year. I love cooking with basil so I could have it to cook with and maybe fight flies too! Does it need a lot of sun light or can it grow in limited sun light? I was thinking maybe growing it on my deck if doesn't require too much sun.

Reaction score
I agree with several of the above. I can grow them in my window and they're not difficult at all.

Another would be chives. Those are super easy, too.
I grew onions last year and found them to be fairly easy, I just had to remember to water them everyday it didn't rain. I did pick some early and ended up with scallions which was perfect for some of the summer salads! But I have not tried to grow chives. We do like them so I will have to look into these this year.

Reaction score
I heard growing basil is good for keeping the flies away too and we had an enormous amount of flies last year. I love cooking with basil so I could have it to cook with and maybe fight flies too! Does it need a lot of sun light or can it grow in limited sun light? I was thinking maybe growing it on my deck if doesn't require too much sun.

Does it get pretty hot in New Jersey? Basil usually needs a lot of sun, unless you live in a hot climate, then it needs some shade. I live in Florida, and it's hot here, so my basil is partly shaded by the awning on the side patio.
If it was fully exposed to the hot Florida sun, it would get dried out.
If you have a hot climate then you can likely grow basil on your deck in partial shade.

Reaction score
Does it get pretty hot in New Jersey? Basil usually needs a lot of sun, unless you live in a hot climate, then it needs some shade. I live in Florida, and it's hot here, so my basil is partly shaded by the awning on the side patio.
If it was fully exposed to the hot Florida sun, it would get dried out.
If you have a hot climate then you can likely grow basil on your deck in partial shade.
We have a pretty good mix of seasons here. It gets hot in the summer, mild to cool in the fall/spring and cold in the winter. It can definitely get quite hot and humid here in the summer tho!

Reaction score
So long as there is no snow on the ground, you can harvest herbs in your garden. There is nothing more satisfying and simple than snipping off just what you need and enjoying the garden fresh flavor without having to fork out a few bucks per bunch at the market.

Rosemary would the easiest herb to grow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mint is definitely easy to grow indoors or ourdoors. It is up to you or usually to the climate zone, where you are living. Anyway, it is plain simple to grow it.

dim

Reaction score
plant a mint beneath a garden tap and let the tap drip .... it will thrive

basil grows easy, but plant in a sunny spot, and keep the soil moist

parsley grows well in a semi-shade spot

oregano grows easily, but I prefer to dry it before using

Reaction score
Mint is definitely easy to grow indoors or ourdoors. It is up to you or usually to the climate zone, where you are living. Anyway, it is plain simple to grow it.
You just reminded of mint! My step mother used to have mint growing in the yard. I don't remember her having to do anything special at all with it so it must be easy to grow in our climate. I forgot all about that.

Reaction score
If you are growing them in your garden with your vegetables do some companion gardening.
Like put basil close to the tomatoes and rosemary with beets, carrots, and peas.
Each time you put these things together they have a protection type thing that keep unwanted insects away or attract good insects. Watch your zone and keep in mind some herbs can and will get invasive, mint herbs are terrible at that.
I live in zone 5, I have chives growing outside in a small 1/2 barrel planter. They come back every month.
Rosemary is an annual in some zones while being a perennial in others.
Mainly grow what you use and like. I have never started from seed because I have too much trouble with that so I get the starters.
Every one that has posted here has given some good advice and some interesting too.

Ask a Question