What are the easiest types of flowers to collect seeds from and sow next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using the same sweet peas for 2 years now by collecting the seed pods and regrowing them each year from seed, I've done the same with pansies I love the idea of having the same generation of plants year after year from the same seeds rather than buying plug plants each year unless they are a difficult plant to start from seed like impatiens, so is there anything else I could try other than the sweet peas and pansies / violas? Something that I can easily harvest the seeds from without needing much skill and save them in a bag to sow next season

Thanks

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hibiscus seeds are easy to collect, but it is easier to take cuttings than using seeds. However, with seeds, you might have sweet surprises. Cosmos and lavetera seeds are easy pickings. Poppies as well. I can tell you some awful ones. Trollius Chinensis - sticky and messy. Actually peony seeds are the easiest to gather, so are salvia seeds, but salvias are dead easy to propagate from cuttings. Peony tubers can be chopped and divided. Lobelia seeds are easy to collect as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I collect loads of seeds... Godetia, Bacopa, Petunias, Marigolds, Cleome, Snapdragons, Violas, Cosmos, Primroses, Foxgloves.....in fact , if it produces a seed then I will attempt to sow it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9-10a
Country
United Kingdom
Great thanks alot I will look into all of those :)

@alp ah yes I forgot to ask about flowers that are easily propogated from cuttings, I already have roses and dahlias that I know of which can be grown from cuttings :) more like those would be great too

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Great thanks alot I will look into all of those :)

@alp ah yes I forgot to ask about flowers that are easily propogated from cuttings, I already have roses and dahlias that I know of which can be grown from cuttings :) more like those would be great too

Salvias and they are lovely. Have you seen mine?

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/3-gardening-diaries.13361/page-181. You can take them back into the house or mulch them or cover with a dome in winter. They are really gorgeous and glorious plants. I want to kiss my Dyson's Joy and Amistad .. Also take seeds. So easy to germinate, no stratification or all that malarkey.

I must follow your practice, @Upsy Daisy ! Time to snore!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I used to cover the ground to stop moonflower from taking over. I still want to do that, but now more or less stop as resistance is futile. They are allowed to stay if they don't jump onto my veg bed. How I wish I had garden of your size, @roadrunner ! My youngest brother who came here from Carolina remarked how small our cars were in the UK!

I have to say some moonflowers are actually very pretty.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I used to cover the ground to stop moonflower from taking over. I still want to do that, but now more or less stop as resistance is futile. They are allowed to stay if they don't jump onto my veg bed. How I wish I had garden of your size, @roadrunner ! My youngest brother who came here from Carolina remarked how small our cars were in the UK!

I have to say some moonflowers are actually very pretty.
I'm retired military and have been to many places in Europe, including the UK, so yes I can confirm that not only do you'll have small cars, but your roads are also very small, i.e. narrow.

I allow several vine species to grow on my fences, they all seem to be able to co-exist, but I also let them grow over some types of plants, such as my pokeweed and 4 o'clocks...it's a freakin' jungle in my yard:D

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The UK is a small country. Hopefully, after Brexit, we will be free to trade like Singapore! Love to see your "freakin jungle"!

Ask a Question