Easiest herbs to grow?

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to start growing my own herbs for use in my kitchen. Going in to the produce aisle at the local grocery stores gives my credit card a heart attack every time. What are some good, tasty, and flexible herbs I can easily grow? Basil seems like it would be a little tough to do in a window. What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion mint is the easiest herb to grow. It needs some sun and some water, that's it. I've been growing it indoors for a few years now. I love mint tea:)

Reaction score
I agree with Claudine, you should have no troubles growing mint, plus is very easy to propagate! You can also give basil a try... I personally love basil, because I like to add it to some salads and almost to every sauce! But basil is a bit tricky, specially when it comes to propagating, at least it is for me :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
All herbs are regarded as easy to grow, but would agree with both Claudine and Trellum that all types of mint and basil are probably considered to be the easiest, along with chives, cilantro and parsley, with parsley being a really good choice for indoor growing as it requires a lot less light than some of the other varieties of herbs.

Reaction score
All herbs are regarded as easy to grow, but would agree with both Claudine and Trellum that all types of mint and basil are probably considered to be the easiest, along with chives, cilantro and parsley, with parsley being a really good choice for indoor growing as it requires a lot less light than some of the other varieties of herbs.

Your list sounds like the list that I would consider.
Parsley is at the top of my list, along with cilantro. Mint sounds like a good idea, but i cant think of many recipes that i would use it for.

How about oregano, do you think it would be a good herb to grow? I love oregano.

Reaction score
Your list sounds like the list that I would consider.
Parsley is at the top of my list, along with cilantro. Mint sounds like a good idea, but i cant think of many recipes that i would use it for.

How about oregano, do you think it would be a good herb to grow? I love oregano.

Oh yes - oregano would be a very good herb to grow, especially as you love it. Oregano grows wild here but I prefer the taste of Greek or Italian Oregano because its far superior to any of the others, so those are the two I grow, The only thing that you need to be aware of when growing it, is that it requires less water than some of the other herbs and when choosing seeds, check the packet for the Latin name - Greek Oregano will say Origanum Vulgare and the Italian one will say Origanium Onites.
I noticed that I didn't mention it before, but when choosing parsley, the best flavored one is the large leaved Italian parsley which has a lovely tangy taste that suits most types of food.
Regarding Mint - well :D there are so many different kinds but the ones that I use the most are spearmint, chocolate and pineapple, the spearmint is great for adding to ant type of sauce, vegetable or meat dish and the chocolate and pineapple are excellent in desserts, fruit drinks and smoothies, with chocolate mint being my favorite addition to my daily smoothie :)

Reaction score
Oh yes - oregano would be a very good herb to grow, especially as you love it. Oregano grows wild here but I prefer the taste of Greek or Italian Oregano because its far superior to any of the others, so those are the two I grow, The only thing that you need to be aware of when growing it, is that it requires less water than some of the other herbs and when choosing seeds, check the packet for the Latin name - Greek Oregano will say Origanum Vulgare and the Italian one will say Origanium Onites.
I noticed that I didn't mention it before, but when choosing parsley, the best flavored one is the large leaved Italian parsley which has a lovely tangy taste that suits most types of food.
Regarding Mint - well :D there are so many different kinds but the ones that I use the most are spearmint, chocolate and pineapple, the spearmint is great for adding to ant type of sauce, vegetable or meat dish and the chocolate and pineapple are excellent in desserts, fruit drinks and smoothies, with chocolate mint being my favorite addition to my daily smoothie :)

New lesson just learned.

The types of oregano you described, seem like a very good choice. I will look them up and get it going.

You just gave me some really interesting choices for mint. I always think of a herb as something that goes in cooked food. I never thought of using it in the sweet side. So smoothies, drinks, and desserts.

I am learning so much in here. Wonder what took me so long to find this place.

Reaction score
Do you buy your herb plants or get seeds? I have had bad luck starting lavender from seeds or any other herb for that matter. I just can not seem to find herb plants. Is there a particular season you find them in?

Reaction score
Mint, basil, oregano, and parsley are probably the easiest ones both indoors and out.Mint is nice indoors especially if you put it in a hanging basket. Herbs like a sunny location if they are going to thrive at all, otherwise they get leggy.

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with herbs. I would say parsley, oregano, mint, cilantro, basil, etc. would be good ones to start with.

Reaction score
I buy the plants rather than seed in. Several local growers have good prices and I only want a few plants. The only place I seed is my veggie garden with beans and radishes.

Reaction score
Do you buy your herb plants or get seeds? I have had bad luck starting lavender from seeds or any other herb for that matter. I just can not seem to find herb plants. Is there a particular season you find them in?
You may have to order them if you can't find them in stores or garden centers. Typically places that sell plants do it in the spring depending on where you live.

Reaction score
So I've been wanting to start growing my own herbs for use in my kitchen. Going in to the produce aisle at the local grocery stores gives my credit card a heart attack every time. What are some good, tasty, and flexible herbs I can easily grow? Basil seems like it would be a little tough to do in a window. What do you guys think?

Yes, basil is a good choice.
I've had good luck with mint. This herb doesn't require much time or attention. All mint needs is some sunlight and watering. It grows well on its own.

Reaction score
For me without a doubt the easiest to grow is Basil, if your not careful it can take over, in my hydroponics system in grows around all the growing media, so when it comes time to pull it out, all the growing media goes with it, which can be quite expensive.

Ask a Question