Does anyone still use a push mower?

Reaction score
Its laughable. In the winter I cant wait until the grass grows and I can mow it. Now as I sit here looking out the window the thought of taking an hour out of my day to wrestle with a lawn mower sounds awful. I know that I will love it in the end when I can look out and see those nice green lines where my mower has gone by though. If I could train up my kids to mow then I could enjoy the fresh cut grass and not have to do it. ;)

Reaction score
I haven’t used a push mower for years, but must admit with the problems that I have had with petrol and electric I might think about using one again especially as my new house only has a small lawn. I might even get some exercise and help lower the greenhouse effect!

Reaction score
They now make reel mowers with much better ergonomics (wider, bigger wheels, better handles, better blade designs). But, expect to spend at least $150 to get the better models.

Reaction score
I could never get away with one of those i would never get done .I did have a push mower with no motor in my first house as yard was small .I loved that thing .The noise of the blade spinning was neat

That's exactly the thing I love about reel mowers. The sound. There's just something evocative about it that conjures memories of years gone by. I might have to think about investing on one, if only to do the front yard with. The rest would take forever that way, since there's nearly two acres of it, but the front is just a small flat space.

Reaction score
I would use a push mower for my lawn if I had one because it isn't very big, and it would make for great exercise and an extra chance to get a tan. We have been paying someone to cut our grass so far this summer because we don't have a lawn mower and don't really have anywhere to put one until we move.

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I do still have a push mower, and I'm the one who has to mow. It doesn't help that my yard is all bumpy and such. I hate push mowers.

Reaction score
I recently purchased a brand new push mower for £40. Given the quality of the grass, the money saved from petrol, the money saved in the actual price of the mower itself and just the general joy of using one, I find it hard to understand why people buy petrol mowers. The amount of trouble I've had trying to start mine made mowing the lawn such a chore.

We were just looking for reel mowers online last night. We want one for our yard. Hubby has a hard time keeping up with the maintenance on the riding lawn mower (it is very old) and the push mower is ok but we feel it would be best if we spent our resources somewhere else.

Reaction score
Doing the yard work is part of my rent arrangement at my current apartment and I would love a push mower to do the yard, but I'm not planning to rent here much longer, so it's not worth it to invest in any gardening or yard tools beyond what I already have. Push mowers seem so charming because they're quiet and they have that cute retro look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Push mowers seem so charming because they're quiet and they have that cute retro look.

I completely agree! I think that is the real reason I always wanted one, though now I also see the eco-friendly benefit of having a push mower. The front lawn is about six feet from the house to the sidewalk and maybe 12 feet from the fence to the driveway. The guy who cuts our grass uses a ride on mower! The patch in the driveway is longer but narrower, and the the grass in the back yard has basically died off. There is one small patch, but all of it could be done with a weed eater.

dim

Reaction score
they are junk .... thats why they don't sell, and that's why very few are produced

a few old time hippies in my area use them because they are too stingy to buy the odd 5 litre can of petrol every month or two .... and then saying that, their lawns and gardens are always untidy

I like a well manicured green lush well fertilized lawn .... (so do my clients) ....

it's a petrol mower with a sharp blade all the way .... and nothing else compares

Reaction score
I commend people who have gone retro and gone back to the good old push motor, I have seen them being used and think its a fantastic choice. I rent so I don't have to worry about mowing the grass but if had to make a choice my preference would be to get the pushie, I'm fed up with the noise of the gas mowers and tractors.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have a service to cut the lawn as it is large and on a slope. If I had a flat lot I would use a push mower because of the noise it does not make and the lack of pollution into the air.

Using a push mower is a great way to get some exercise, I grew up with a push mower. I have never liked the electric or gas mowers, they seem too dangerous to me.

Reaction score
I found an old one at my grandparent's and took it home. I wanted to use it for decor, but I did try it and it was hard to do. I love the idea of the nostalgia in these types of mowers but I couldn't use one for my huge lawn.

Reaction score
I have never seen one of those being used anymore. The neighborhood that we live in all use electric or gas powered lawn mowers. Heck, one of the neighbors got artificial grass so he wouldn't have to mow his lawn. Sometimes we have young kids coming around and cutting our lawn for us, but they also use a gas powered lawn mower.

Ask a Question