Does anyone grow Millet?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have noticed that millet grows like crazy under my bird feeders. After doing a little investigation I found that millet is a fairly healthy food source. I was wondering if anyone on this site grows it for human consumption. All I would have to do to grow it is quit mowing it down.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was extremely fed up with how much growing underneath my bird feeders. Sunflower seeds germinated inside my hanging basket and right underneath the tree from which I hanged the feeders. Now the bird feeders go to hard concrete ground. The only feeder allowed is the one with fat balls in it. It's a nightmare clearing them and they matted together like a carpet. Now you have pointed out, there could be millet, oat, wheat and sunflower seeds. I've just learned that you can use wheat to make maltose.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No, because I reflexively pull anything that looks like grass; however, Sorghum is also a common seed in most bird seeds and look very much like corn in its early stages.

Somehow it got away from underneath my birdfeeders and grows in several areas of my yard, it now reseeds itself. The cardinals love it, so I allow it to grow.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If I have land, I would certainly let anything which seeds itself grow. Would love to make a wildflower meadows.. Comes on, spring, get your act together!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Now I wish I had bought most of the bread yesterday. A tart of 4" diameter went for 13p. And there were loads of bread/loaves around. Will the white bread kill the birds? Hehe!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
71F62DD0-21EE-447A-98D2-88E0C2B41918.jpeg

Are birds eat what ever all most gone loaf we have , white,wheat or rye. Never found any dead ones

The only problem I have is my wife’s bread eating dog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've been listening to cover crop videos this morning and this one mentioned Sorghum and Millet as a cover crop -- interesting coincidence...:cool:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Silentrunning, I only grow it by accident under the feeders, but you've piqued my interest. I might have to exercise my google-fu after work tonight!!(y)

Will the white bread kill the birds?

It won't kill them, but it's "empty" calories, so it's not good for them. They'll get full on the bread, and stop eating before they get the nutrients they need. Probably not too bad in summer but more detrimental in winter, when they need to stay warm. I have thrown bread for them in the summer, but try to stick to seeds and suet in the winter. (y)

I see your bread eating dog, and I'll raise you three bread eating cats! :ROFLMAO:

0331041938.jpg

They prefer wheat bread. :confused:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
View attachment 31269

Are birds eat what ever all most gone loaf we have , white,wheat or rye. Never found any dead ones

The idea that bread kills birds is pretty much fiction. I'm sure a diet of nothing but bread could have some negative effects but the same could be said of almost any food. As a treat for birds who have a good diet bread is harmless. During extremely cold and snowy weather it could mean the survival of some birds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I've been listening to cover crop videos this morning and this one mentioned Sorghum and Millet as a cover crop -- interesting coincidence...:cool:

Like his ethos.. Organic and good for the environment. It's such a luxury to go organic. Hope he fares well. He deserves it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I always look at white bread with suspicions. A lot of people eat it and they are OK. I can't go completely wholemeal as it would be too tough. I do like half white and half wholemeal. I have heard that sourdough is actually better, but don't really want to go to all that trouble.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Have to be careful with dogs eating mouldy bread, the mould is there before you can see it.it
can kill them and maybe cats as well. But i know dogs can.

Ask a Question