Does anyone here grow eggplant ?

Reaction score
I am thinking about trying my hand at growing some eggplant this year. Would like some feedback from any of you guys that have grown them before. Any tips on the best varities and types of fertilizers to use to give me the best chance at a solid harvest.

Reaction score
I grow mine in Hydroponics and Aquaponics, any type grows like crazy given the right amount of sun, you just need to be extra vigilant about bugs as they seem to like the leaves. The type I grow right now is called "Black beauty".

Reaction score
Yeah, I have grown eggplants.. I have sworn never to grow them again.. the seem to get all kinds of pests and diseases.. and all my plants had to be killed because of a couple of eggplants. I love aubergines, I now buy it from the market. I can never bring myself to grow them in my garden again.. mainly because I do not have the required space and pest control mechanism for it.

Reaction score
I agree with Maddie, mine always get these bugs on them and then they start eating the leaves of other vegetables once they have devoured the egg plant leaves.

Reaction score
I love eggplants and so apparently do a lot of pests. That is the main difficulty in growing them. I've had sucess with growing them in a raised bed well supported so that the plants arent all close together and keeping a fairly close eye on pests and mostly removing them as best I can and spraying with soapy water to discourage them. Mostly they just take a little extra vigilance
you may find this interesting - http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/126292/Eggplant-Growing-Agfact-H8.1.29.pdf
bear in mind it's from Australia so we don't have the same pests and the seasons are opposite to you so the planting months etc are different - we are in autumn now while the northern hemisphere is in spring

Reaction score
Yeah, I guess this maybe one of the advantages of my growing system, being able to have a higher degree of control over the plant, as I have said in another thread I spray with molasses, it doesn't totally exclude the bugs but it gets rid of about 85%.
In my Aquaponics system I don't have more than one plant in one bed at a time, so they aren't too close together. When I have grown them in the ground though the pests did seem to like them more.

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips and information guys. Seems as if i plan on growing this i will have to do my homework on keeping the bugs away. Can't wait to give it a try !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Keep them warm too, but well ventilated. I live in a 7b climate and could only get them to grow in a green house.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I had phenomenal success this year with aubergines in my greenhouse. I really was amazed.
I grew marigolds alongside as companion plants, and aside from a little mildew, had no problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
~12a
Country
Puerto Rico
I have a huge eggplant plant in my garden at the moment. My relationship with them is pretty bitter. Its been many, many months and I haven't had a single fruit. All the flowers drop off before I even have the chance to hand-pollinate them! Yet again, that very well could be because its pretty hot over here. I remember recalling that their flowers tend to fall off in high heat.
Also, about the pest talk, I've seen many horn worms and grasshoppers on my plant, which sucks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
You do not need to hand-pollinate aubergines.
They, like tomatoes and all peppers, have perfect flowers.
Shake them to pollinate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grow Japanese eggplant, before planting them I work in chicken or rabbit manure in the soil about 2 weeks before planting seeds, I have very few problem with bugs or diseases, if you have a healthy soil you will have less problems

Ask a Question