Does anyone grow mushrooms here...

Reaction score
Do you grow mushrooms? I love mushrooms and they are pretty expensive here. I would be happy to know how hard or easy they are to grow. What does it take to grow them?.. wanna share you knowledge anyone... in the meanwhile I am going to check out for some articles on Google.

Reaction score
What I read on Google makes me think it is difficult to control temperature and stuff. I think there are easier ways to cultivate mushrooms and it takes just about five days to a week to get some delicious mushrooms on your table. I am going to explore further and find if I can get help locally. Mushrooms are full of protein and great for health. They are tasty too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Mushrooms grow from spores. Whole Foods sells a kit that you can grow your own from. I keep looking at it, but mushrooms are a little tricky, at least that's how they always seemed to me from what I read in the past. Here's the kit I was talking about.
Mushroom-Kit-Growth1.jpg

Found another one here:
http://www.mushroomgrowingkits.biz/

Here's a DIY link, I just might try this!
http://www.ehow.com/how_7179707_build-own-mushroom-growing-kit.html

Reaction score
Chanell, I just found something locally. Maybe I will check it out as soon as I can, if it calls for temperature control and installation of gadgets I may not opt for it. This place is about 30 miles from where I live so it may be a days trip ... Thanks a ton.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You do need to monitor the temperature, but they grow practically in the dark so once you get the spores going I think you just have to maintain moisture.

One site said the mushroom spawn could only be collected in a sterile environment, but I found a DIY link that tells how to do it yourself without a kit.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7179707_build-own-mushroom-growing-kit.html

Reaction score
That does sound like a easy to do project.. I should have read this before I went shopping today... now I may have to wait until the next weekend to get mushrooms.. In the meanwhile I will get all that I need to get started on my project.. thanks for that link Chanell...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out; I'd like to try growing them myself as soon as I figure out a good spot to maintain the conditions they need.

Reaction score
I think these mushrooms are the easiest to grow once we get the lighting and the temperature right... you can have a crop every seven days.. and such healthy quick to cook yummy stuff..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I know! Remember that link I posted for growing food from scraps? My aunt was cutting up seasoning yesterday for holiday cooking and I salvaged the bottom of a celery and two scallions! Oh, and I have another growing idea for you; will post soon.

Reaction score
Maddie, look what I found!

1208-mushrooms-in-laundry-basket-1.jpg

1208-mushrooms-in-laundry-basket-7.jpg

144326363029612195_62CrrzlR_b.jpg
This one is from a Pinterest board:
http://pinterest.com/leliaa/gardening/

Chanell, did I tell you that you are a real sweetheart? Wow.. I am inspired.. LoL my husband will get his ears full until he helps e get some sterile potting material for the mushrooms.. I will go get some mushrooms today and get the spores ready.. I am so excited..but getting hay is going to be another issue.. I may have to do without it.. :D :D :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, it's my pleasure! BTW, did you know you can sterilize your own soil by covering it with black plastic and sitting it in the sun? I think there's another way as well, which requires heating. But if you're using compost I don't think you need to sterilize.

In that spent mushroom compost thread one of the guys mentioned that the sterile stuff won't produce mushrooms. Of course that was spent mushroom compost though.

Reaction score
Maddie, it's my pleasure! BRW, did you know you can sterilize your own soil by covering it with black plastic and sitting it in the sun? I think there's another way as well, which requires heating. But if you're using compost I don't think you need to sterilize.
In that spent mushroom compost thread one of the guys mentioned that the sterile stuff won't produce mushrooms. Of course that was spent mushroom compost though.
I did know about the heating system to sterilize soil, but never heard of covering with plastic and sitting it in the sun. I need to google it up... Thanks for mentioning that.. there is so much happening on the home front that my focus is all over the place... Our new house may be needing a lot of work and attention soon.. So i may have to put off all new gardening projects until we settle in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, the only thing about covering the soil with plastic (usually done on the ground over a large area before you plant) is that it takes several weeks from what I remember. I think you can also "bake" soil to sterilize it in something like a smoker type barbecue grill.

Ask a Question