Does anyone grow olives?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I really like olive oil because you can use it for so many things, such as for cooking, for your hair, for your skin, etc.
But is it possible to make your own olive oil if you grow olive trees?
Did anyone of you try this before?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Growing olives is definitely an art. Gary Player once phoned the CEO of a massive newspaper organization to ask for said CEO's son (who was renowned for his gardening skills) to assist in the set up of an olive garden as such.
If you come right with growing the olives you will also need to understand the art of transporting them, they ferment extremely quickly and should not be stored on top of one another (for long periods of time).

The process behind making the oil is also a complicated one, They need to be grinded and pressed. Here is a guide I found on how to do it yourself: http://ohhshop.com/blog/greenies/our-own-olive-oil-and-the-cost-breakdown/

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've had an Olive tree for nearly 30 years now, it flowers every year but has only ever set 2 fruits, and they were tiny :(

Ask a Question