Does anyone still plant by moon phase?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When I was about 8, my Grandad, who was a farmer, gave me some purplehull pea seed to plant (my very first attempt at gardening). I planted them, got the biggest, fullest foliaged plants; a grand stand for a budding 8 year old gardener......which produced nada, nilch, zero peas (okay, MAYBE one handful). After discussing this outcome and answering his questions he said, "Ya planted during the new moon. Ya shoulda planted toward the full moon.....always remember that." Not sure if that's an "old wife's tale" or if it has merit.....but SOMETHING caused it. Have kinda faded away from paying attention to it in my old age, ya know.....when we're supposed to be slower and wiser, but always wonder about it when a "crop" turns out poorly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yesssss indeed......HARD to be patient to start seeds after the winter "gardening drought." He told me to "ALWAYS plant root crops during the waning moon and ALL above ground crops on the waxing moon. He NEVER planted his farm crops otherwise.....unless weather conditions gave him no choice.

Ask a Question