Does anyone still use a push mower?

Reaction score
I recently purchased a brand new push mower for £40. Given the quality of the grass, the money saved from petrol, the money saved in the actual price of the mower itself and just the general joy of using one, I find it hard to understand why people buy petrol mowers. The amount of trouble I've had trying to start mine made mowing the lawn such a chore.

Jed

Reaction score
yowch. I don't think I have the body power to push one these days. I owned two in the past. I gather the newer models would be lighter and better?
Sometimes starting a petrol mower can be an exhausting and nauseating experience. I found that using a battery powered drill with the correct size socket for the nut on top helped crank a cranky mower.

Reaction score
yowch. I don't think I have the body power to push one these days. I owned two in the past. I gather the newer models would be lighter and better?
Sometimes starting a petrol mower can be an exhausting and nauseating experience. I found that using a battery powered drill with the correct size socket for the nut on top helped crank a cranky mower.

Yes indeed, the model I have is reasonably light and very easy to push, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. It's has a little bit more resistence than a petrol mower but I still find it easy enough to push around the garden. Another upside is that there is no engine to breakdown, sharpen the blade every 2-3 years and you should be good for a lifetime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
We has a small lawn and I have always felt a reel mower was a great idea since there isn't that much that needs mowing. Now my aunt has decided she wants one as well, so we may finally get one. One of the neighbors has one and someone else I know has used one. They are definitely eco-friendly, which is a plus!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember my father had one a few years ago. I don't know what happened to it. I would like to have it because my dog is extremely scared of petrol mower's noise. Although I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to push it even if it's light:p

Reaction score
I remember my father had one a few years ago. I don't know what happened to it. I would like to have it because my dog is extremely scared of petrol mower's noise. Although I'm not sure if I'm strong enough to push it even if it's light:p

That's another benefit I forgot to mention, the noise! It keeps the neighbors happy anyway ;) I think you'd be fine pushing one, they are lighter than petrol mowers so the extra effort required to move the wheel is undone by the lightness of the mower itself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Then I definitely should get one. I have a lot of grass in my garden but I can't use petrol mower because I don't want to scare my little dog:( . If the mower will be to heavy for me, I always can look for a gentleman who'll help me:p

Reaction score
I have a push mower, it's a good option for folks who want to be more eco-friendly. When I use it people actually stare at me when they pass by because they aren't very common where I live. I find that it can leave the grass looking a bit ragged so I cheat once in a while and borrow the neighbors mower to achieve that smooth and even appearance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I've seen that there are a lot of different models of them. I think that if you got the right one and kept the blades sharpened it would be easier to get a uniform lawn cut. I'll have to ask my neighbor if I think of it the next time I see him.

Reaction score
I used to have one years ago. You need a nice flat lawn. If the ground is uneven then they are back breaking.

They never seem to catch clippings as well as other mowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is not a good news...my lawn definitely isn't flat. Maybe a push mower isn't such a good idea for me after all. I don't know. I wish somebody could lend it to me so I could try it out before I'll buy one. Unfortunately my neighbours have only petrol mowers:(

Jed

Reaction score
This is not a good news...my lawn definitely isn't flat. Maybe a push mower isn't such a good idea for me after all. I don't know. I wish somebody could lend it to me so I could try it out before I'll buy one. Unfortunately my neighbours have only petrol mowers:(
Have you considered a rechargeable battery powered one or an electric corded mower.
Much less noise than an infernal combustion mower.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
My knowledge about mowers is still very limited. If these are less noisy, I'll definitely consider buying something like this. My dog is so scared of mower's noise, I must do something because I feel very sorry for him - he is terrified when he hears this noise:(

Jed

Reaction score
My knowledge about mowers is still very limited. If these are less noisy, I'll definitely consider buying something like this. My dog is so scared of mower's noise, I must do something because I feel very sorry for him - he is terrified when he hears this noise:(
One of our forum members earlier this year mentioned this mower in favourite gardening tools. It looks quite impressive and there are some competitive prices out there.:)
http://lawnmowerguru.com/bosch-rotak-36-review.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you! I haven't noticed it, this review is great, it answers many of my questions:)

Ask a Question