Does anyone still use a push power?

JoshPosh

@pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
I haven't used one of those since I was a kid. My grandfather use to pay me 50 cents to do the entire lawn with a push mower. Those were the days.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Since we mow about three acres, no! But, I have recommended a push mower, aka "reel mower" to folks with postage stamp lawns in town. A gas mower isn'tneeded for a 1/4 acre lot with a house and carport on it. There are several places that sell reel mowers, and since they continue to offer them, there must be a market!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have a push power, but I don't use it, because it's too heavy for me;) When my lawn starts looking too wild, I always ask someone for help. Fortunately, my boyfriend is very strong:)
But the truth is that I like long grass. Manicured lawns are so boring!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I tried a push mower as our garden is quite small and it worked great when the grass was short, but if I left it more than 3 days then the grass was just too long for the push mower to handle. To be fair, I bought quite a cheap push power so perhaps the higher end ones are better.

In the end I switched to a battery powered rotary and it flies though everything (although not as good exercise :D).

Reaction score
I used one when I was helping my grandma mow the lawn. I loved that mower, it was such good exercise and made me feel strong. If I ever get the chance to mow lawns again that is the kind of mower I want to use. It feels much safer too not having an engine and blades spinning unless you are pushing it.

Reaction score
I remember an elderly neighbor of mine used a push mower and he made it look easy as hell. Now, I realize hid grass never got that tall. He was mowing that lawn righteously every weekend. I got one for myself when I first moved in my house and asked my nephews to mow my lawn but they looked so comical doing it. they struggled. I thought if an 70 year old cold do it they could. Oh well... --peace

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you mean a motorized lawn mower, yes, I do for the most part, because the area is small, and there are a lot of obstacles. If you mean the old ones that have no motor, I have not seen one of those in 25 years! I tried to use those clunky things a few times as a kid, and man, those olden day people must have been strong! It's not easy making those things turn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember the days of the push mower. That was my job as a teenager. Always me and never my brother. To earn my allowance I had to push that mower till the lawn was nice and cut.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not used a push lawn mower in years, as I was looking at our backyard I was thinking it would be nice to have a push mower to go over the leaves that were left on the ground this fall to help them to break down into mulch. I would feel better with the teenage grandson pushing a push mower than an gas mower for his first time with a mower.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The lady who has the allotment opposite my new one is in her late seventies, and uses a push-power mower for the paths, dug over the allotment next to hers when the holder was unwell, and asked if she could help with my new allotment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have wanted to buy one for a while, but I can't find any. They work best out here because it is all sand, choke grass, and sage brush out here. The winds bring all kinds of stuff onto the lawn (found a whole door once) and so it is safer to use the push powered mower then the electric or gas powered one. However, it is not sold anywhere around here that I have seen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've had one for a few years and it's good for small lawns/yards but a pain for medium ones. It's actually a ton of work to push them but they're quiet and if you keep the wheels and the base that holds the blades oiled, it's manageable. It takes getting used such as maintaining the sharpness of the blades more often, really making sure that the yard is cleared, ect but if you have a tiny lawn then they're perfect. No need to deal with gas cans, bags, heavier equipment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I have wanted to buy one for a while, but I can't find any.
However, it is not sold anywhere around here that I have seen.

Kevin, Ace Hardware sells push mowers. There is one on display at our local store. If you have an Ace, and they don't stock the push mower, you can order it on-line and have it delivered for free to your local Ace store. Be sure to get a sharpening kit also.

InvasiveCreeper

Wild Garden and Native Plant Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I use a scythe when there is a need. If I had more of a typical lawn I'd probably use an old push mower.

Last edited:

Ask a Question