Did I do right by my cactus?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My cacti are outgrowing their containers. I’d originally planted the single pads in a cinder block. I put a layer of sand and cactus soil in the hole, and then more cactus soil and sand on top but it’s still really too heavy. It’s kind of falling over, so I used sticks to support it. Is there anything else I can do?

Also, is it okay that it’s leaning so much? Not sure what I should do. The parent plant I got the pads from almost looks like a tree, it has a very thick “trunk.”

Attachments

• IMG_4615.jpeg
    IMG_4615.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    455.3 KB · Views: 16

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It is a tree :)

Your Opuntia will fall over and root where it touches the ground, it's what they do. It'll eventually become a big shrub/tree unless you take the pads off and try to keep it under control.

Aim for keeping a central trunk, select the pads that look like they'll form a trunk and take the other pads off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a tree :)

Your Opuntia will fall over and root where it touches the ground, it's what they do. It'll eventually become a big shrub/tree unless you take the pads off and try to keep it under control.

Aim for keeping a central trunk, select the pads that look like they'll form a trunk and take the other pads off.
Thank you so much! I think she’s starting to maybe turn into a trunk, she’s got some grayish brown patches where the new pads came from. This one pad has a cut so that’s a bit concerning, but overall she looks good.

Thanks again for the advice and support 🥰

Attachments

• IMG_5965.jpeg
    IMG_5965.jpeg
    245.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5966.jpeg
    IMG_5966.jpeg
    459.7 KB · Views: 7

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No worries 😁

Looking good :) I wouldn't worry about the cut on the pad, they're used to getting grazed by things that have very thick lips.

A few of mine are developing trunks now.

Yours will probably have flowers next year, make sure you come back and show us all if it does :)🌵

Ask a Question