Beginning veggies in styrofoam cups?

Reaction score
From what I remember the polystyrene that it is made of contains carcinogens that leach into things when heated, so it has been banned in a lot of cities in food/restaurant use (I haven't seen a cup or food container in years around here).

It's just as well because that makes food leftovers much easier to compost anyway :)

Reaction score
The plant would need to be removed from the styrofoam cup before it is planted into the ground. The paper egg crate is a better choice, some people have used toilet paper rolls to start their plants as they will break down also.

When removing a new plant from a cup to plant into the grow you must be very gentle not to break or bend the plant.

I like the idea of growing a plant from an egg crate and toilet paper rather than a styrofoam cup. i know that styrofoam cups are very bad for the environment since they don't break down well. I probable use these ideas when planting my own vegetable garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
From what I remember the polystyrene that it is made of contains carcinogens that leach into things when heated, so it has been banned in a lot of cities in food/restaurant use (I haven't seen a cup or food container in years around here).

It's just as well because that makes food leftovers much easier to compost anyway :)

If that's the case I wish they'd ban it in South Africa too. Just last week we bought takeaway curry and rice and the food came in styrofoam boxes.

Reaction score
There are lots of other materials that can be used as planters besides styrofoam. I know there are people who still use it, but I have stopped using it so much. The reason is because a friend told me how harmful it is for the environment as well as people.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
There are lots of other materials that can be used as planters besides styrofoam.

I often reuse plastic containers from food we buy or even cut down juice bottles. I like to use transparent "pots" when I start cuttings so that I can see when they start to root. The reason I've sometimes used styrofoam is because it's so much easier making drainage holes in them, but they tend to break rather easily so, aside from health and environmental reasons, they still aren't ideal. I may still have a few cups in the cupboard but I won't be buying them again after reading this thread.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here in the UK many outlets sell plants in polystyrene (styrofoam) pots, including strawberries and young veg plants.
B&Q is one I'm aware of, Focus another.

By all means stop using them for environmental reasons, but the health effects I wouldn't worry about.

Reaction score
A lot of nurseries around here sell plants in cardboard-like planters that decompose on their own, I *think* it's the same material that most takeaway place use, sort of a recycled papier-mache style cardboard. You can usually find them sold on their own as well.

Reaction score
I need to check those out. I would love to have a planter that naturally decomposes on its own. That way I don't have to worry about pollution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks for sharing that video zigs. That looks really easy and I might just give it a try as I've just been given a whole lot of tree seeds and I really don't feel like going out to buy pots for all of them. I wonder how long those newspaper pots will survive.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
By the time the roots have filled them, they'll be ready to break down, just plant the whole thing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
That sounds good. Just as long as they don't break down before they're ready to be planted.

I don't have any time for planting for the next few days, but I think I'll have a go at making a pot now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Well I managed to make a pot, but it's a bit larger than I'd like, so I'll try for a smaller one. My biggest problem is that my newspaper seems to be a different shape to the one in the video, so there was less overlap on the straight edges and the whole thing is rather flimsy. Doubling up the newspaper should help with that.

Thanks again zigs. I think this is going to be really useful.

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the video zigs. I am definitely going to try that because my mom has plenty of newspaper I could use. That makes it easier for me and cheaper too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Thanks for sharing the video zigs. I am definitely going to try that because my mom has plenty of newspaper I could use. That makes it easier for me and cheaper too.

I made a second one using the paper doubled up. I prefer the smaller size and the pot feels much stronger. If you want the larger size I recommend that you use two sheets of paper.

I really like the fact that this is a case of literally getting my pots for nothing.

Ask a Question