Is gardening season ending or beginning in your part of the world?

Reaction score
In Missouri, the wind is howling and the rain has been pouring for several days now. We are always under the threat of tornadoes and gardening season has come to an end for the most part. Soon ice and snow could take the place of hot sunny days and everything will be gray instead of green for months. Where you live, are you facing winter, coming into spring, or in a tropical zone where you can have not one but two gardens in a years time?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our summer garden is winding down, but we are still picking peppers and tomatoes. We just planted most of our fall garden this month, but still have garlic and spinach and carrots to put in. We aren't tropical by any means, but we get a nice little fall harvest before the first frost, somewhere around Thanksgiving. Some vegetables, like broccoli and Swiss Chard, can stand our occasional cold snaps, so we have something fresh going most of the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Our summer garden is winding down, but we are still picking peppers and tomatoes. We just planted most of our fall garden this month, but still have garlic and spinach and carrots to put in. We aren't tropical by any means, but we get a nice little fall harvest before the first frost, somewhere around Thanksgiving. Some vegetables, like broccoli and Swiss Chard, can stand our occasional cold snaps, so we have something fresh going most of the year.
Pretty much the same here. marlingardener and I live only a couple of hours from each other.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Slowing down here, but some winter crops on the go :)

Land Cress, Mizuna, PSB and a few Leeks that survived the Leek Moth.

Would have planted Lambs Lettuce but couldn't find the seeds this year :(

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The trees are turning color and the leaves are falling. Nights are cool but still sunny. I am in the Mid-Atlantic area, it does get cold but not for long. We do get some bad storms that come up from the South during this season. I don't garden outside during the winter, we may get snowed in at any time during the winter.

Reaction score
Ehh, no longer know what season it is anymore. Today we had a really cold morning, then it got warmer and then super warm. Not even sure if we will have winter, after all up until now it has been summer for us, lol. No fall! It's crazy!

Reaction score
The trees are turning color and the leaves are falling. Nights are cool but still sunny. I am in the Mid-Atlantic area, it does get cold but not for long. We do get some bad storms that come up from the South during this season. I don't garden outside during the winter, we may get snowed in at any time during the winter.

You are so lucky, guys! Over here we aren't even seeing the leaves of the trees changing their colors, the trees are just the same! The mornings are cool, but the evenings are hot. It's so confusing! I'm starting to think there will not be a winter!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Gardening season is pretty much all-year round in my part of the world. We don't really have winter, so we can plant anytime. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The leaves are just starting to turn here, bit of a late season.

It's a worry when they're still on the trees this late, same as the 1987 hurricaine :eek:

I was in the middle of that, thought the bomb had dropped :eek:

Reaction score
Where I live - the gardening season never really ends - as although we only have two seasons - either extremely hot or extremely cold with nothing in between - there is always something going on in the garden - like now for instance - even though the summer vegetable garden is coming to an end - the peppers and tomatoes are still going strong and there will soon be beans, swiss chard, spinach and winter potatoes ready for hot winter meals and then there are the last of the summer fruits as well some of the nuts that I'm now starting to harvest and soon after that the citrus fruits will be ready - oh and the olives too and with all the other things that have to done in and around the garden - before I know it - it will be time to plant my summer vegetable garden all over again :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I garden year round here. My plants are mostly herbs and ornamentals so I don't have to worry as much about seasons. We were expecting a harsh winter last year so I acquired a greenhouse to be able to protect my plants from the freezing temperatures, but even as I was trying to protect my plants, my grandfather's tomato plants had fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Gardening season is pretty much year round in Washington. We do get snow here, but I don't think the ground freezes long enough for all plants to suffer. We just have to rotate what we grow around here depending on the season.

Reaction score
Gardening season is definitely ending in Oregon too. It is raining and cold,not fun to be outside, but there are leaves that will need to be taken care of. My friend is a gardener at a B&B and she is still putting in a fair amount of time in the gardens, but now it's mulching time and aerating the lawns. Right after the rain is a great time to pull out stubborn weeds though, right when the ground is soft. Soon it will be too cold and nasty though for outdoor work.

Reaction score
Here in Romania it's the time of the year when the nature goes to sleep. The bugs started to disappear, the leaves started to get brown and fall. The temperature started to go down and the rains are certainly more frequently. Gardening season is definitely ending here too.

Reaction score
In Miami, it's hot and humid part of the time and raining & windy the rest of the time. We don't really have gardening seasons here. We just bring plants indoors during hurricanes so they don't blow away.

Ask a Question