Beginning veggies in styrofoam cups?

Reaction score
Hello!

I was at my sister-in-laws for easter this weekend and they had oodles of veggies from seeds growing in styrofoam cups in the windows. Is styrofoam common and safe to start plants in? It seems as if it might be a porous material and leak water when watering - plus, I thought styrofoam was bad for the environment.

I've never started plants from seeds, we were fortunate enough to have a friend that grew a garden and she provided us with a little bit of everything.

Thanks!
Jen

Reaction score
Styrofoam is said to be carcinogenic in nature.. I would never use these for anything.. but recycling them as seed starters is better than throwing them in the dump.. I personally never buy anything Styrofoam.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The plant would need to be removed from the styrofoam cup before it is planted into the ground. The paper egg crate is a better choice, some people have used toilet paper rolls to start their plants as they will break down also.

When removing a new plant from a cup to plant into the grow you must be very gentle not to break or bend the plant.

Reaction score
Hello!

These are all great ideas and MUCH better to me than styrofoam. I do not buy styrofoam products either as I thought they were said to be harmful. The mention of them being carcinogenic confirms my thoughts. I'll have to do a bit more research, I'm sure the short period they are in there wouldn't make much of a difference, but who would want to take such a chance?

I might have to try and grow some strawberry plants from seeds this year!

Reaction score
I would have to agree, stay away from the Styrofoam! Our Home Depot has biodegradable seed pots. They work wonderful for transplanting to the garden!

Reaction score
"The plant would need to be removed from the styrofoam cup before it is planted into the ground. The paper egg crate is a better choice, some people have used toilet paper rolls to start their plants as they will break down also."

I couldn't agree more.. Best is not to use styrofoam or anything that is not biodegradable.

lee

Reaction score
I say stay away from styrofoam and grow your seeds from the earth!

Much more satisfying and in the long run will produce fuller, tastier crops.

Reaction score
"Much more satisfying and in the long run will produce fuller, tastier crops."

It is indeed much more satisfying as well as fulfilling and produces a lot more tastier crops.

Reaction score
The plant would need to be removed from the styrofoam cup before it is planted into the ground. The paper egg crate is a better choice, some people have used toilet paper rolls to start their plants as they will break down also.

When removing a new plant from a cup to plant into the grow you must be very gentle not to break or bend the plant.
Now I have learned something new. I usually recycle the egg crates and toilet paper rolls, but now I will use a few to create a new life. How wonderful is that? Thank you for the suggestion!

Reaction score
I don't use styrofoam for anything because I don't like it. Not only is it harmful to the environment, it is not the best planter either.

Reaction score
I like those peat moss cups for starter plants. I never thought of using toilet paper rolls. I guess you could you paper towel rolls as well. I would cut the paper towel rolls into multiple pieces. That way, I would get more starter pots out of one roll.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really, really hate the sound that styrofoam makes when you break it:eek:. It's the most annoying sound ever! So no, I don't use it for anything. If you want to grow little plants, it's better to make small pots from paper. We had a thread about them here.

Reaction score
I really, really hate the sound that styrofoam makes when you break it:eek:. It's the most annoying sound ever! So no, I don't use it for anything. If you want to grow little plants, it's better to make small pots from paper. We had a thread about them here.

God, I thought I was the only one. I used to work in an office and was in charge of deliveries, every time we got equipment packages in I cringed at all the styrofoam sounds while unloading equipment. Shudder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've used it for starter pots in the past and my plants have always done fine. In fact I went to a potting demonstration at an orchid show last weekend and the demonstrator used broken up styrofoam as drainage and even included small beads of styrofoam in his soil mixture.

This is the first I've heard of styrofoam being carcinogenic, and that's quite worrying. It may be okay for plants but it doesn't sound too good for food. Unfortunately some of the foods we buy come packed in it and I'd be reluctant to give those up.

Ask a Question