Beginning veggies in styrofoam cups?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The problems with paper pots are, that they have no rigidity and don't support your plants, and if you over-moisten them once, they disintegrate.
You look at instructions for pricking out & potting on practically any plant, and they end, "Water in well."
That's because it's necessary to minimise transplant shock.
I've tried paper pots, and I've lost a lot of plants.
I don't use them.

I use plastic pots, most of which I get from friends and relatives second-hand, and some of them are decades old and still going strong.

How does that, and the positive environmental impact of not buying a newspaper really compare with the use of paper pots?

Many of those "cardboard" bio-degradable pots are actually made from peat, and as such, have their own negative environmental impact.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am open to trying new things and I would like to try this out to see if it works for me. I like the idea of using newspaper because my mom throws away a lot of newspapers and I would like to be able to put them to good use rather than throwing them away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
I've tried paper pots, and I've lost a lot of plants.
I don't use them.

That doesn't sound so good. Maybe I'll give the paper pots a miss.

I often cut down plastic juice bottles or use other unwanted plastic containers instead of putting them in the recycling. It's not that difficult to put a few drainage holes in them. And anything transparent has the advantage that I can see when the roots start to grow. That's not so important for seeds, but I really like it for cuttings.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I use all sorts, loo roll tubes are good for Sweetcorn.

Old pot noodle pots with a few holes in them are very sturdy.

Reaction score
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if there is a fun origami solution to this. It would be neat to have something fun to look at, and less likely to distract me by wanting to read the pot ;)

Reaction score
Hmmm, now I'm wondering if there is a fun origami solution to this. It would be neat to have something fun to look at, and less likely to distract me by wanting to read the pot ;)
Lol I kinda see what you mean. I would still like to try the newspaper pots though.

Reaction score
Styrofoam is not the best thing to be starting plants in given some of the chemicals that go into making it. I like the little peat pots as well as make little pots out of newspaper. Cardboard egg cartons are handy too and they can go right into the ground. I try to go as organic as possible when I plant vegetables, don't want to harvest something and eat it when there is a possibility that they will be tainted chemically.

Reaction score
I agree with you. It's best to go as organic as possible when it comes to planting a garden. I don't like a lot of the chemicals they put into a lot of things and I also grow my own garden because I hate the stuff they spray on the foods at the stores.

Reaction score
What's the point of going to the trouble of creating a garden and using chemicals in it? I garden in order to get healthier veggies rather than the stuff at the grocery that has been sprayed and sprayed. It certainly tastes better when I grow it and is a lot better for me.

Reaction score
Yeah growing your own is way better than store bought. It's slso cheaper. I like the convenience as well because when I want some veggies I just go out back and get some.

Ask a Question