The beginning of my new yard

Reaction score
This is the one of the first plants that I have planted in my new yard. It is a verigated sedum. Butterflies and hummingbirds love these when they flower. I have several other types of sedum, but this one has the most interesting leaves! As you can see, my yard is full of hard, red mud. I have added sand and mulch to my yard, but I have to do one small area at a time. It is slowly but surely getting there- one step at a time!

Attachments

• 0428140818.jpg
    0428140818.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 484
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How is your yard coming along? That sedum is very attractive. Is it a succulent? I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those the next time I am at the garden center. I'm thinking of planting more butterfly attracting plants in my garden. (The one I said I was going to keep as is this year and not anymore stuff to, lol.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That looks pretty against the red soil! What are your plans for your yard?

Reaction score
Sedum are wonderful plants to have in the garden. I have grown sedum Autumn Joy for years; it the summer it provides texture and in the fall it has beautiful burgundy flowers. I am interested in what the flowers will be like for your varigated sedum.

Reaction score
How is your yard coming along? That sedum is very attractive. Is it a succulent? I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those the next time I am at the garden center. I'm thinking of planting more butterfly attracting plants in my garden. (The one I said I was going to keep as is this year and not anymore stuff to, lol.)
I do not believe that sedum is a succlent, but many of the varieties do look like it. They are drought tolerant, though! I will have to look into it more.

Reaction score
That looks pretty against the red soil! What are your plans for your yard?
I am going to put shade trees in front of the house on the hill. I still have to redo the walk that I laid out when we moved. Then it's filling in two large beds. So far I have gladiolus, many varieties of sedum, dianthus, dinnerplate dahlias, a snowball bush, 4 elephant ears, and something I don't remember the name of planted in the front. I have many plants that I still have to dig up and transplant in the near future. When all that is done I will have to figure the back yard out! Everything is still hodge podge, but with time, it will all come together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That all sounds great! I love Dahlias, they are so pretty. Looking forward to hearing and seeing how you get on!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that you have had the summer to work on your new yard what wonders have you created? Please share more pictures!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Looks like a beautiful plant. I wish you luck in your new yard. It is like a blank canvas for you to create.

Ask a Question