Around the county of Kent

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

That would probably be the west coast then @Colin. :) It's dryer here on the eastern side.

Thanks Sheal. Bron has visited Scotland many times with her parents enjoying fabulous weather; they especially liked Iona. We were engaged and about to be married when we set off on a camping trip it being my first and only ever visit to Scotland. We were in our Reliant Robin and it was either Summer (?) 1975 or 1976; it was a beautiful sunny day when we departed but then my pet cloud Blackie thought it good fun to also enjoy the trip; by the time we reached Scotland it was absolutely pouring down; we stopped at a roadside cottage camping site and pitched the tent on the sloping site; the rain beat down and farm animals created a racket the night long. We travelled 1,200 miles in three days all around the coast of Scotland looking for sun; all I saw of Loch Lomond were waves near the roadside unable to see anything of the actual loch due to the incessant rain; it sure was grim.

We pulled into a layby and I've never seen a roadside sign as long with an whole list of things we shouldn't do but fortunately we were allowed to breath. We camped near a lay by in Dornie and it was a nightmare erecting the tent with the wind and rain; as I put one tent pole in the wind was buffeting the tent; at 4am we had a stream running through the tent so we decided enough is enough; as I pulled the tent down our sleeping bags and mattresses disappeared at high speed on the wind; we loaded the soaking wet tent into the back of the Robin and headed south; Bron needed to visit a toilet so in the early hours we arrived in Fort William; having at last located the public toilet the toilet had a huge padlock on it.

We called in at services and even the wagon drivers were complaining about the dire weather; on the way up and back down the A74 our Robin only having three wheels we were driving with the front wheel on the middle hump of the road meaning we were plane spotting. I found the weather; road signs and even lack of public toilets to be hostile to visitors but then I'm totally biased having suffered such a terrible three days in Scotland. Bron assures me Scotland is wonderful but then not every visitor to Scotland has their own very personal cloud called Blackie. Back home the sun was shining. Never again. :mad:

-2C here first thing as I defrosted the car before visiting the usual three supermarkets; sleet and snow keep being forecast so no doubt one day the forecasters will get it right but we're now ready with £600 of new Michelin Cross Climate tyres fitted to our Yeti; for once I'm not complaining because we've enjoyed a very rare nice summer last year and it cheers me to see the crocus and daffodils pushing through indicating better times ahead; I love springtime when everything bursts into life.

Rambling on as usual; have a nice day. :love:

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it must have been 1975 Colin as '76 was a scorcher all over the country. I remember it well as I was pregnant with my first child all through that hot summer and was most uncomfortable.

If Bron can twist your arm to come back - visit the east coast, it's much dryer here and there's no midges to fight with. :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found this while out for a walk this morning :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Found this in Ramsgate yesterday, will go back when the tea room is open :)

DSCF1316.JPG

Ask a Question